America's Cup: Alinghi are fifth race victors
Saturday, June 30, 2007
The Swiss yachting team,, have defeated in the fifth race for the . The overall score is now 3-2 to Alinghi.
Alinghi won the race by 19 seconds, though throughout the pre-start race each yacht was within close distance of each other. Team New Zealand, racing with, crossed the start line first and reached a 12 second lead at the first mark. But when Team New Zealand were preparing to fly a new kite, their spinnaker ripped in two and went flying into the air. Their second spinnaker was not tied on properly and the third one got tangled half way up.
Team New Zealand managed to free the first two and untangle the third to continue the race, making up some of the 140 metres Alinghi had created in the three minute hold up.
Grant Dalton, managing director of Team New Zealand, said, "That was an important race and it wasn't one we should have lost on a mistake on a move we've practised time and again."
The team first to five wins, wins the "".
- "America's Cup: Team New Zealand wins third race" — Wikinews, June 27, 2007
- "America's Cup: Team New Zealand wins over Alinghi in second race" — Wikinews, June 25, 2007
- "America's Cup: Alinghi wins first race over Team New Zealand" — Wikinews, June 24, 2007
- Reuters. "Alinghi 3-2 up after dramatic win" — , June 29, 2007
- Jane Barrett and Reuters. "New Zealand try to refocus after chaotic fifth race" — , June 29, 2007