Apple collecting location data from iPhone, iPad
Saturday, April 23, 2011
Apple Inc.'s and periodically send location information back to the company, according to new reports. The data is transmitted to a secure database that only it can access, Apple claims.
Bruce Sewell, an attorney for Apple, sent a letter to two US Representatives last year, discussing the company's data collection techniques and policies. The thirteen-page letter states that location information is recorded and sent to Apple every twelve hours, but only if the user enables the device's location settings.
Apple began building a location database of its own when it decided to stop using similar services offered by Google & . Location data is used in social networking applications and call routing.
Such data collection is not unique to Apple. Google'soperating system uses similar technology to provide location-based services to its users. Google has said that it also uses the data collected to provide accurate traffic data through its "Maps" applications on both Apple and Android devices. However, the company declined to comment on the latest findings regarding its data collection.
Apple was also recently in the spotlight after it was discovered that the iPhone and iPad were retaining location data on the device itself. This information is collected in an unencrypted file and is not transmitted elsewhere. The data file reportedly contains a variety of information, includingand , cell phone tower identification data, wireless hotspot identification, and timestamps.
- Hayley Tsukayama. "The Circuit: iPhone data; AT&T, T-Mobile file with FCC; Samsung fires back at Apple" — , April 22, 2011
- Erica Ho. "The Reason Why Apple Collects Location Data from Your iPhone" — , April 22, 2011
- Brett Molina. "Report: Apple, Google collecting location data on users" — , April 22, 2011
- Julia Angwin and Jennifer Valentin-Devries. "Apple, Google Collect User Data" — , April 22, 2011
- Associated Press. "iPhone Data Retention Raises Privacy Concerns" — , April 21, 2011