Bainimarama sworn in as Fiji caretaker PM
Friday, April 10, 2009
All nine members of the previous interim Cabinet have also been reappointed to their positions.
Bainimarama overthrew the elected government of Prime Minister Laisenia Qarase in a military coup in 2006. He was subsequently appointed interim Prime Minister by President Iloilo. But on Thursday Fiji's Court of Appeal ruled that Qarase's removal and Bainimarama's appointment were unlawful. The court ordered the President to appoint an independent caretaker Prime Minister to dissolve Parliament and call elections.
Iloilo responded by abrogating the constitution, revoking all judicial appointments, and appointing himself head of state.
Related news 
- "Australia and New Zealand condemn Fiji takeover" — Wikinews, April 10, 2009
- "Fiji's President abrogates constitution" — Wikinews, April 10, 2009
- "Fiji court rules interim regime unlawful" — Wikinews, April 9, 2009
- "Iloilo appoints Bainimarama as caretaker PM" — , April 11, 2009
- "Commodore Bainimarama is interim PM" — , April 11, 2009
- "Bainimarama reinstates interim Cabinet" — , April 11, 2009
- "President abrogates Constitution" — , April 10, 2009