Celebrities draw attention on 2008 UK New Year Honours list
Saturday, December 29, 2007
|I am almost as surprised as I am honoured. I feel deeply touched to be acknowledged by the UK, my adopted home, in this way.|
—Kylie Minogue in reaction to her OBE.
In an annual tradition, Queen Elizabeth II gave out honours in the 2008 U.K. New Year Honours list today. Chat show host is to be , Australian singer was made a member of the Order of the British Empire (for services to music), and actor (who played in the trilogy) joined the exclusive , which is limited to only 65 members.
Knighthood was awarded to professor, who led the team that . The list also includes honours for those involved in flood rescue work during 2007 such as Captain Tracey Palmer (who was made a , MBE) and Leslie Adams from York. Tom Kelly, who was an official spokesperson for Tony Blair, entered the .
599 of the 972 awards this year went to ordinary members of the public, who mostly received MBE's.
The honours are awarded by the Queen after advice from the Prime Minister, Gordon Brown. It is published in the , an official publication of the monarchy.
Other recipients of honours include:
- , Children's authour
- , England Rugby coach
- , Designer
- Karen Millen, Designer
- , Industrial designer
- , TV Sports presenter
- , Journalist
- , Actress
- , Actor
- , BBC proms organiser
- , Athlete
- , Snooker champion
- Andy Trotter
- Nuala O'Loan
As in past years the honours list has included honours for those involved in charity work, education and social activisim, such as :
- Marjorie Wallace,
- Michele Elliott
- Alasdair Macdonald, Headmaster
- Professor Sir Timothy O'Shea, Vice Chancellor of Edinburgh university.
- Caroline Gammell. "Kylie awarded OBE in New Year Honours list" — , December 30, 2007
- Cole Moreton. "New Year Honours: Gongs for the people? Yes, but the big ones go to stars like Parky" — , December 30, 2007
- "Parkinson and Minogue top honours" — , December 29, 2007
- "Kylie honored by Britain's Queen" — , December 29, 2007
- Full list - hosted by BBC News.