Central banks announce joint efforts to provide liquidity
Wednesday, December 12, 2007
Several central banks in Europe and North America announced joint efforts to provide liquidity to the credit markets in the wake of the 2007 subprime mortgage financial crisis. The banks will hold coordinated auctions "designed to address elevated pressures in short-term funding markets." The announcement came simutaneously from all of the banks at 9:00 a.m. EST (UTC-5).
The banks involved are the United States' Federal Reserve System (Fed), the European Union's European Central Bank (ECB), the United Kingdom's Bank of England (BoE), Canada's Bank of Canada (BoC), and Switzerland's Swiss National Bank (SNB).
The auctions will run through the end of 2007. The first auction is scheduled for Monday, December 17 and will be a "Term Auction Facility" of US$20 billion.
In its statement the Federal Reserve said: "The Federal Open Market Committee has authorized temporary reciprocal currency arrangements (swap lines) with the European Central Bank (ECB) and the Swiss National Bank (SNB). These arrangements will provide dollars in amounts of up to $20 billion and $4 billion to the ECB and the SNB, respectively, for use in their jurisdictions. The FOMC approved these swap lines for a period of up to six months."
The Bank of Japan (BoJ) is not participating in the intervention, but welcomed the action. In its official statement, the BoJ said: "The Bank of Japan welcomes these measures and hopes that they will contribute to maintaining the functioning of the international financial markets."
- Press Release: "Measures designed to address elevated pressures in short-term funding markets" — European Central Bank, December 12, 2007
- Press Release: "Federal Reserve and other central banks announce measures designed to address elevated pressures in short-term funding markets" — Federal Reserve System, December 12, 2007
- Press Release: "Bank of Canada Temporarily Expands List of Securities Eligible for Term PRA Transactions" — Bank of Canada, December 12, 2007
- Press Release: "Central Bank Measures to Address Elevated Pressures in Short-term Funding Markets" — Bank of England, December 12, 2007
- Press Release: "Swiss National Bank provides U.S. dollar funding" — Swiss National Bank, December 12, 2007 PDF (61K)
- Press Release: "On the Measures Announced by Five Central Banks on December 12, 2007" — Bank of Japan, December 12, 2007