Back to article
This page is for commentary on the news. If you wish to point out a problem in the article (e.g. factual error, etc), please use its regular collaboration page instead. Comments on this page do not need to adhere to the Neutral Point of View policy. You should sign your comments by adding ~~~~ to the end of your message. Please remain on topic. Though there are very few rules governing what can be said here, civil discussion and polite sparring make our comments pages a fun and friendly place. Please think of this when posting.
Quick hints for new commentators:
- Use colons to indent a response to someone else's remarks
- Always sign your comments by putting --~~~~ at the end
- You can edit a section by using the edit link to the right of the section heading
This person infuriates me. Beating up children and declaring yourself champion is not a glorious act at all... It is better to do nothing. - 184.108.40.206 06:59, 25 June 2008 (UTC)Saint Splattergut
- Mugabe is the only African leader who successfully waged war against a colonial power. This made him a hero in the eyes of many of his neighbours. This is a significant contributory factor in them all standing idly by while he wrecked the country and caused hyperinflation by printing more and more money. The impact of the latter really comes home to you when you see something like a clip on youtube where someone buying a newspaper off a street vendor hands over a wad of notes nearly as thick as the paper they're buying.
- The policy of driving white farmers off their land has been an utter disaster, both for Zimbabwe and the rest of Africa. Prior to the war, and independence, the country was the breadbasket of Africa and fed a significant portion of the continent's populace. Now farms lie in ruin, untended, and no crops grown. What Mugabe and his supporters know about farming would fit on the back of a postage stamp, with room left over. --Brian McNeil / talk 09:26, 25 June 2008 (UTC)
This is what Socialism will give you. Fephisto (talk) 15:31, 25 June 2008 (UTC)
- This is what government will give you. Anonymous101 (talk) 15:43, 25 June 2008 (UTC)
- It is a crock of shit to blame this on socialism and shows a complete and utter lack of understanding of the concept. Many of the Scandinavian countries could be described as socialist and have among the highest standards of living in the world. --Brian McNeil / talk 16:18, 25 June 2008 (UTC)
- I agree that the problem cannot be blamed on socialism but the problems of government (yes, including socialist governments) can cause incidents like this. Anonymous101 (talk) 17:22, 25 June 2008 (UTC)
- I've taken socialism to be defined as a robbing property. But, whatever, maybe I'm way off on this definition. How do you define it (also, if you want, could you lay down a definition of communism as well. I've never received a good response on the difference between communism/socialism. So I've pretty much taken them to mean the same thing)?Fephisto (talk) 19:59, 29 June 2008 (UTC)