Earthquake hits Chile
Wednesday, June 15, 2005
A major earthquake hit Chile on Monday with a 7.9 magnitude strength. According to the Reuters news service, the earthquake caused a major displacement of homes and caused major power outages. So far, there have been 11 dead in the quake and aftermath.
Right after the occurrence of the earthquake, schools were evacuated, panic was generalized and the electrical power has been cut. The earthquake could be felt at the south of Peru and Bolivia, but there are not information about victims or damages in these countries. A very small earthquake was felt in some cities in Brazil, with no damages or victims apparently.
- Esteban Medel. "Chile earthquake death toll rises to 11" — , June 14, 2005
- Heather Walsh, Aaron Sheldrick. "Chile's Strongest Earthquake in Decade Causes Deaths" — , June 14, 2005
- AFX News Limited. "Chilean markets unaffected by earthquake" — , June 14, 2005
- "Reflexo de terremoto no Chile assusta brasileiros" — , 14 de Junho de 2005
- "Diez muertos y decenas de heridos por el terremoto de 7.9 grados en el norte de Chile" — , 14 de junio de 2005
|The text of this article has been released into the public domain. In the event that this is not legally possible, this article may be used for any purpose, without any condition, unless such conditions are required by law. This applies worldwide. Copyright terms on images, however, may vary, so please check individual image pages prior to duplication.
Please note that this only applies to Wikinews content created prior to September 25, 2005. All content created after that date is released under a Creative Commons license which is mentioned at the bottom of each article. This is currently the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.