Eight Californians seriously ill after eating live shellfish
Saturday, September 9, 2006
The freshwater crabs, also known as river or regal crabs, were purchased in several restaurants, including Riptide Rockin' Sushi & Teppan Grill in Mission Viejo and Chomp Rockin' Sushi & Teppan Grill in Fullerton. The crabs were infected with a parasite called paragonimus, a flatworm similar to lung fluke.
The parasite travels to the lungs six to ten weeks after ingestion. Symptoms include coughing, diarrhea, breathing problems, chest pain, abdominal pain, fever, and hives. The worm can spread to other organs, including the brain.
- Pat Fryer. "8 California diners suffer lung infection after eating raw crabs" — , September 9, 2006
- Courtney Perkes. "Crab parasite sickens 4 more" — , September 9, 2006
- AP. "Diners Eat Raw Crabs on Dare, Get Sick" — , September 8, 2006
|This page has been automatically archived by a robot, and is no longer publicly editable.|