Fans mourn death and celebrate life of Michael Jackson around the world
Friday, June 26, 2009
Fans have spontaneously gathered in many places around the world to both mourn and celebrate Michael Jackson who died yesterday.
In New York, a crowd of 200 people gathered, to dance and sing, under the marquee of the on 125th Street in Harlem, where the famously performed at Amateur Night, which read "In Memory of Michael Jackson, A True Apollo Legend, 1958–2009".
In California, hundreds of fans gathered outside of the where Jackson had been taken by paramedics.,
At the, fans gathered at the star for radio commentator . Jackson's own star, located at 6927 Hollywood Boulevard, was inaccessible because of the premiere of taking place at .
Fans at theexchanged the news via text message. Ironically, false rumours of such celebrity events have been common at the Festival in past years, as attendees have little access to news services. As a consequence many fans have not believed the news, and will not believe it until it is announced from on stage or printed in one of the Festival's own daily newspapers later today, as Jackson's death occurred at 22:26 last night local time. Some people, however, have been playing Jackson's music backstage, and an impromptu tribute to Jackson was held at the Festival's "Stone Circle". The Festival officially begins today, and it is expected that several performers will pay tribute to Jackson.
In Toronto, fans gathered outside of the studio of, which adjoins the street, to watch as a special commemorative programme was broadcast live from the studio.
- "News of Michael Jackson's death overloads Internet sites and sparks hoaxes" — Wikinews, June 26, 2009
- "Singer and songwriter Michael Jackson dies at age 50" — Wikinews, June 26, 2009
- Mairi Mackay. "Jackson's death stuns fans at Glastonbury" — , June 26, 2009
- "Hundreds of Jackson fans converge on hospital" — , June 26, 2009
- Sunny Freeman. "Canadian Michael Jackson fans express shock, sadness; say he won't be forgotten" — , June 26, 2009
- Tim Jonze and Rosie Swash. "Michael Jackson dies … Glastonbury festival in shock" — , June 26, 2009
- Jerry Shriver and Olivia Barker. "Spontaneous tributes to Jackson pop up all over New York City" — , June 25, 2009