Fire breaks out in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park, Australia
Sunday, January 21, 2007
Fire broke out in the Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park, on the outskirts of Sydney, Australia, at approximately 5pm on Sunday 21st January 2007. The site of the fire is inaccessible terrain in the Bobbin Head/Apple Tree Bay area.
For a time properties were threatened in Mount Ku-ring-gai, but this danger has now passed. The F3 freeway and northern train line were closed, causing freeway traffic to be banked up. The morning saw delayed traffic on the F3, which was briefly opened, but for the most part traffic was diverted onto the Pacific Highway at the Berowra Exit.
Around midday the F3 Freeway and Pacific Highway were closed until further notice, severing Sydney's northern vehicular links. During Monday afternoon the railway line was closed. Traffic for the north was being routed inland via Wisemans Ferry Road, though Windsor. The Pacific Highway, F3 and railway line reopened at 6pm. Welfare centres have been opened for commuters who cannot get home. They are located at Berowra Community Centre (north of the fire) and Thornleigh Baptist Community Centre (south of the fire).
Overnight backburning along with a direct attack has seen the main threat dissipate with the southern fire front under control. On Monday morning spot fires continue to move north towards Cowan Creek. The wind has been picking up in the local area during Monday afternoon. The fire is proving difficult to contain due to spot fires and flying embers.
There has continuous helicopter activity over the area during Monday.
The NSW Rural Fire Service will be holding Community briefings at the Berowra Oval and Samuel King Park Bobbin Head Road Turramurra at 5.30pm today (Monday).
Tuesday saw continuing helicopter activity. Steady rain has been falling throughout Tuesday night and Wednesday morning. The Rural fire service has stated that it is now confident that the fire will be contained.
- "Blaze causes major traffic delays" — , January 22, 2007
- Jano Gibson. "Fire contained but it's slow going on F3" — , January 22, 2007
- "Latest News: Mt Ku-ring-gai Fire Update 8am Monday 22/01/07" — , January 22, 2007
- "Latest News: Mt Ku-ring-gai Fire Update 10am Monday 22/01/07" — , January 22, 2007
- "F3 Freeway and Pacific Highway closed until further notice" — , January 22, 2007
- "Live traffic camera - F3 (Wahroonga)" — , January 22, 2007
- "Mt Kuring-gai Fire Update 1:30pm Monday 22/01/07" — , January 22, 2007
- "F3 Freeway, Pacific Highway and rail line closed - 2pm" — , January 22, 2007
- "Mt Kuring-gai Fire Update 4:10pm Monday 22/01/07" — , January 22, 2007
- "F3 Freeway, Pacific Highway and rail line all open - 6pm" — , January 22, 2007
- AAP. "Rain helps bring bushfire under control" — , January 24, 2007