Former professional wrestler Giant González dies aged 44
Tuesday, September 28, 2010
Former Argentine professional wrestler and basketball player has died at the age of 44. González died in his hometown of , Argentina. The cause of death was established to be complications of . González had suffered with the illness for several years and was wheelchair bound.
Standing over 7.5 feet (2.3 metres) tall, González was originally a basketball player before becoming a wrestler. Upon moving to the United States, he was drafted in the third round of theby the . After his basketball career ended, he joined (WCW). During his time there, he wrestled as El Gigante for two years, then joining the (WWF), now World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE).
During his time with the WWF, González feuded with. He debuted at the where he eliminated Undertaker from the Royal Rumble match. He spent the entire of his time at with the WWF feuding with Undertaker and left the company in July 1993 after losing a Rest in Peace match to him. After leaving the company, he wrestled in Japan before retiring in 1995 after suffering from .
González is the latest in a line of former WWE wrestlers to die in the last two months. In August, bothand passed away, while died at the age of 53 earlier this month.
- "American professional wrestler Mike "Bastion Booger" Shaw dies aged 53" — Wikinews, September 14, 2010
- "Canadian professional wrestler Luna Vachon dies aged 48" — Wikinews, August 29, 2010
- "US professional wrestler Lance Cade dies aged 29" — Wikinews, August 14, 2010
- "Jorge 'Giant' Gonzalez, Former WWF Wrestler, Dead At 44" — , September 27, 2010
- "Giant Gonzalez passes away" — , September 26, 2010