Guatemalan minister killed in helicopter crash
Saturday, June 28, 2008
Vinicio Gómez, the Guatemalan Interior Minister and Édgar Hernández Umaña, the deputy Interior Minister, were yesterday killed in a helicopter crash, according to government officials. The helicopter lost contact at 19:08 UTC yesterday, and as a result, this is believed to be the time that the accident occurred.
A spokesperson for the Guatemalan government said that the accident was caused by bad weather. They also stated, one their official website, that the incident occurred at a point 42 miles away from La Aurora International Airport, the country's major international airport.
A spokesperson for the Guatemalan government highlighted the official response to the events. "The government is distraught and regrets the death of a key minister, who had done good work in a few months in office," he said.
"The Mexican government is already lending its support. It has put a plane at the president's disposal to take him from Villahermosa to Guatemala tomorrow," continued Fernando Barrillas, the spokesperson.
- "Guatemala minister dies in crash" — , June 28, 2008
- "Guatemala ministers killed in crash" — , June 28, 2008
- "Guatemala official dies in helicopter crash" — , June 28, 2008
- Reuters. "Guatemalan minister dies in helicopter crash" — , June 28, 2008
- "Se accidenta helicóptero en que viajaban funcionarios del Ministerio de Gobernación" — , June 27, 2008 (Spanish)