Harvard Law School gives its highest honour to Pakistani judge
Friday, November 21, 2008
Pakistan's embattled Chief Justice Iftikhar Mohammad Chaudhry was conferred with Harvard Law School's "Medal of Freedom" for his struggle for the rule of law and the independence of the judiciary on Wednesday in Boston, Massachusetts.
The New York City Bar Association granted him an honorary membership at a ceremony attended by Chaudhry on Monday, recognising him as a "symbol of the movement for judicial and lawyer independence in Pakistan."
On November 3, 2007, then-president Pervez Musharraf imposed a state of emergency and suspended the constitution. Soldiers of the Pakistan Army entered the Supreme Court of Pakistan and arrested Chaudhry along with seven other judges.
Musharraf replaced Justice Chaudhry with Abdul Hameed Dogar as the Chief Justice of Pakistan under Musharaff's Provisional Constitutional Order issued that day. Chaudhry then spent several months under house arrest.
Harvard Law School established its "Medal of Freedom" as its highest honour, to recognise individual efforts "to uphold the legal system’s fundamental commitment to freedom, justice, and equality."
Related news 
- "Pakistan opposition parties form coalition" — Wikinews, February 21, 2008
- "Wikinews' overview of the year 2007" — Wikinews, December 31, 2007
- "Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry reinstated as Chief Justice of Pakistan" — Wikinews, July 21, 2007
- "Harvard confers Medal of Freedom on deposed CJP" — , November 20, 2008
- Matt Hutchins. "Pakistan's Chief Justice Receives Medal of Freedom" — , November 20, 2008
- Masood Haider. "Iftikhar receives freedom medal: Help for Pakistan’s judiciary sought" — , November 19, 2008
- Press Release: "Pakistan's ousted chief justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudry to receive honorary membership at the New York City Bar" — Association of the Bar of the City of New York, November 17, 2008
- "The National Law Journal Names Pakistan Chief Justice Chaudhry as 2007 Lawyer of the Year" — , December 12, 2007
- Press Release: "Pakistani chief justice to receive Harvard Law School 'Medal of Freedom'" — Harvard University, November 14, 2007