I'll Have Another wins 2012 Kentucky Derby
Sunday, May 6, 2012
I'll Have Another won the as he slipped past near the end of the race to take first place Saturday at with Dullahan following them for third place.
jockey rode I'll Have Another, who was (13-1 odds), past Bodemeister (6-1 odds) by 1 1/2 lengths. The finishing time was 2:01 4/5. Previously, the winning horse had a victory at the at Santa Anita Park.
Bodemeister and Trinniberg sprinted out of the gate and were the early leaders throughout the race with Bodemeister leading for the majority of the race. Experts had thought that Trinniberg could cause some horses and riders to sprint with him at the beginning of the race.
, who was the favorite, finished sixth in the field. Prior to the race, experts had ranked I'll Have Another third.
According to NBC, the owner, trainer and jockey all won their first Kentucky Derby. The race was broadcast by thenetwork in the United States. The crowd at Churchill Downs for the 2012 race was 165,307.
According to the official Kentucky Derby website, the horses that competed this year in the Kentucky Derby by starting position include:
1. Daddy Long Legs was the winner of theat Meydan. He is owned by the partnership of Derrick Smith, Mrs. John Magnier, and Michael Tabor. Daddy Long Legs is trained by and the jockey was .
2. Optimizer is trained by, owned by tobbacoist of Bluegrass Hall LLC and ridden by .
3. Winner of theat Gulfstream Park, Take Charge Indy, is owned by Chuck and Maribeth Sandford. He is trained by and his jockey was . Borel had winning horses in 2009 and 2010.
4. Expert's top pick, Union Rags, is owned by Chadds Ford Stable. He is trained byand was ridden by .
5. Dullahan is owned by Donegal Racing. His trainer isand his jockey was . He raced the fastest time at the 2012 .
6. Bodemeister, winner of theat Oaklawn Park, is trained by . He is owned by in Cairo and his jockey was .
7. Rousing Sermon is owned by Larry and Marianne Williams, Tree Top Ranches. His jockey wasand he is trained by .
8. Creative Cause is owned by Heinz Steinmann and trained by Mike Harrington. His jockey was be.
9. Trinniberg is trained by Bisnath Parboo from Tranidad and his son, Shivananda Parhboo, is the owner of Shivananda Racing and the horse. The jockey was.
10. Daddy Nose Best was the winner of theat Sunland Park and The at Golden Gate. He is owned by Cathy and Bob Zollars, trained by , who is also training Sabercat, and his jockey was .
11. Alpha is a female owned byin Dubai. She is trained by and will be ridden by .
12. Winner of, Prospective, is owned by . He is trained by Mark Casse and his jockey is .
13. Went The Day Well is owned byInternational and is trained by . His jockey was . This team won last year's race with
14.was the winner of the race at Churchill in November. He is owned by Dr. Kendall Hansen and Sky Chai Racing. His trainer is and he is ridden by .
15. Trainer, who has previously won a Kentucky Derby, has two horses in the race. One is Gemologist. He is owned by LLC. His jockey is .
16. The other is El Padrino, owned by Let's Go Stable, trained by Pletcher and ridden by.
17. Done Talking, winner of theat Hawthorne, is owned by Skeedattle Stables. He is trained by Hamilton Smith and his jockey was Sheldon Russell.
18. Son of Kentucky Derby 2006 runner-up Bluegrass Cat, Sabercat, is owned by Winchell Thoroughbreds. He is trained by Steve Asmussen and ridden by.
19. I'll Have Another was the winner of the Santa Anita Derby at Santa Anita Park. He is owned by financier, trained by and ridden by jockey is Mario Gutierrez.
20. Liaison is owned by Arnold Zetcher and trained by Bob Baffert. He was ridden by.
- Dan Nowak. "Kentucky Derby: Breaking down the field" — , May 5, 2012
- "I'll Have Another wins the 138th Kentucky Derby" — , May 5, 2012
- Melissa Hoppert. "I’ll Have Another Wins Derby" — , May 5, 2012
- Joe Drape. "Long Shot’s All-Out Style May Set Pace at the Derby" — , May 4, 2012
- Associated Press. "Union Rags still favorite for Kentucky Derby" — , April 23, 2012
External Links 
- "The Kentucky Derby Horses" — , May 5, 2012 (date accessed)