Iran unveils part of its nuclear program
Friday, August 31, 2007
On August 27, Iran published public information report about its nuclear program, thus unveiling a part of outstanding issues still in discussion with (IAEA). In this document, Tehran provide clarifications about plutonium experiments and shows signs of cooperation in clearing up questions about its efforts to acquire nuclear technology. The IAEA issued a new report on August 30, and distributed copies of its report ahead of a September 10 meeting of the organization's 35-member board.
This report also reflects findings about a work plan concluded on August 21. The United Nations nuclear watchdog report praised Iran for agreeing to a new work plan and planning to resolve numerous questions about its nuclear program.
Mohamed ElBaradei, the IAEA director general, said in reaction to these reports: "This is the first time Iran is ready to discuss all the outstanding issues which triggered the crisis in confidence. It's a significant step."
The assessment of Iran nuclear cooperation could make it more difficult for the United States and its allies to win tougher U.N. sanctions against Iran.
In Iran, the Deputy Secretary of the Supreme National Security Council (SNSC) for International Affairs, Mohammad Saeedi, said that the IAEA report « put an end to all US baseless allegations on Iran's separation activities and reprocessing plutonium.»
- Borzou Daragahi. "Iran said to be sharing nuclear data" — , August 31, 2007
- John Ward Anderson and Joby Warrick. "IAEA: Iran Cooperating In Nuclear Investigation" — , August 31, 2007
- Elaine Sciolino and William J. Broad. "Report on Iran's nuclear program opens new U.S.-U.N. rift" — , August 31, 2007
- "IAEA rejects US unfounded allegations against Iran: Saeedi" — , August 30, 2007
- Permanent mission of Islamic Republic of Iran to the IAEA. "Communication dated 27 August 2007 from the Permanent Mission of the Islamic Republic of Iran to the Agency concerning the text of the "Understandings of the Islamic Republic of Iran and the IAEA on the Modalities of Resolution of the Outstanding Issues"" — , August 27, 2007