Johnson ousts Livingstone in London mayoral election
Friday, May 2, 2008
Boris Johnson has been declared the winner of London's mayoral election. The Daily Telegraph called the victory overwhelming, given how close recent opinion polls had been. Results were delayed by record turnout.
Johnson thanked his family and party activists for helping him win what he termed a "marathon election." The mayor-elect also paid tribute to Livingstone by saying the incumbent had the "thanks and admiration of millions of Londoners" for his years of service as mayor.
In the London elections voters chose both their first and second preference for Mayor of London. The incumbent mayor is Ken Livingstone.
Many polls were carried out before the election. One of the earliest, carried out by YouGov and the London Policy Institute showed a clear lead for Livingstone. A poll carried out near the end of 2007, however, showed that Livingstone was only one percentage point clear of Boris Johnson.
More recent polls, including one carried out by YouGov for Evening Standard showed a narrow lead for Johnson. Other polls, however, like the one taken for UNISON continued to show a clear lead for Livingstone.
Below are the latest results:
|London Mayoral Election 2008 - Results|
|Name||Party||1st preference||Second preference|
|Richard Barnbrook||British National Party||69,710|
|Gerard Batten||United Kingdom Independence Party||22,422|
|Siân Berry||Green Party of England and Wales||77,374|
|Alan Craig||Christian Peoples Alliance||39,249|
|Lindsey German||Left List||16,796|
|Boris Johnson||Conservative Party||1,043,761||124,977|
|Ken Livingstone||Labour Party||893,877||135,089|
|Matt O'Connor||English Democrats Party||10,695|
|Brian Paddick||Liberal Democrats||236,685|
- "Results of British local elections announced" — Wikinews, May 2, 2008
- "Livingstone brands Boris 'a joke' in London mayoral elections" — Wikinews, April 30, 2008
- Rosa Prince. "Boris Johnson wins London Mayoral election" — , May 2, 2008
- Associated Press. "Opposition lawmaker ousts London mayor" — , May 2, 2008
- "Johnson wins London mayoral race" — , May 2, 2008
- "London mayoral election 2008" — , May 2, 2008
- London Elects - the official site of London Elects, the independent body in charge of organizing the election of the Mayor of London and the London Assembly