Kenya troops enter Somalia after kidnappings
Wednesday, October 19, 2011
Thehas issued an advisory against travelling to the Kenya–Somalia border. Kenya's foreign minister has said Kenyans must "defend your country, you must defend the security of your people and in doing so, you have to go for these people where they are". He also went on to say they were acting on request of the government of Somalia.
A spokesperson for the al-Shabab militant group shouted, "Are you ready to live under Christians?" on a militant local Somali radio station, advocating a holy war.
Omar Osman, a spokesperson for the Somali government, said Kenyan logistical support was welcome, but Kenyan troops were unnecessary.
- "Kenya sends troops into Somalia to hit al-Shabab" — , October 17, 2011
- BBC News Online. "Kenya sends troops into Somalia to hit al-Shabab" — , October 17, 2011
- Daniel Howden. "Kenya sends in troops to Somalia in pursuit of al-Shabaab militants" — , October 17, 2011
- Associated Press in Nairobi. "Kenya troops move into Somalia" — , October 16, 2011
- David McKenzie. "Kenya vows to hit Al-Shabaab across Somali border" — , October 16, 2011
- Jeffrey Gettleman. "Kenyan Forces Enter Somalia to Battle Militants" — , October 16, 2011
- "Foreign Office changes Kenya travel advice" — , October 2, 2011