Liberal Democrats hold onto Eastleigh in by-election as UKIP vote soars
Sunday, March 3, 2013
The Liberal Democrat candidate won the , United Kingdom on Thursday with a slim majority of 1,771 votes, with the Conservative Party finishing in third place after a voting surge for the (UKIP) who finished in second.
Thornton, who lives in Nick Clegg celebrated with Mike Thornton and party supporters; in a statement he said: "We held our nerve, we stood our ground. We overcame the odds and won a stunning victory".and has been a local councillor since 2007, said in his victory speech, "The people of Eastleigh recognise that the Liberal Democrats have always had a superb record of delivery, we've always listened to what people want, and we always make sure that we do a good job." Leader of the Liberal Democrats
At the last, Liberal Democrats won with 46.5% of the vote, holding a 3,864-vote majority over the Conservative Party, who gained 39.3%, and the constituency has been in the Liberal Democrats' control since another . The party's share of the vote dropped by 14.4 percentage points as UKIP posted their best-ever election results.
UKIP leader David Cameron, "He's talking about gay marriage, wind turbines, unlimited immigration from India. He wants Turkey to join the European Union. The Conservatives' problems are not because of UKIP, it's because of their leader".has said that after their success in the by-election they will "take the tremor that [they] have created at Eastleigh and turn it into a national political earthquake" in the election in 2014. Farage said of
Labour Party leader] Ed Miliband." David Cameron played down suggestions that UKIP pose a big threat to the Conservative Party at the . He said, "It is a disappointing result for the Conservative Party, but it is clear that, in mid-term by-elections, people want to register a protest"., the , said "We'll be fighting the next election providing a clear choice between David Cameron as PM or [
The Labour candidateended up fourth with 9.82% of the vote. Ed Miliband responded by saying, "Clearly I would have preferred to get more votes but this was always going to be a tough fight for Labour".
, the former , triggered the election when he resigned as the after admitting perverting the course of justice by asking his wife to take speeding penalty points for him in 2003.
- "Eastleigh by-election: Lib Dems hold on despite UKIP surge" — , March 1, 2013
- "Eastleigh: Lib Dems Win, Tories Fall To Third" — , March 1, 2013
- "Eastleigh by-election: Miliband says Labour 'can do better' after fourth place" — , March 1, 2013
- "Ukip leader Nigel Farage vows to create 'earthquake' in British politics" — , March 1, 2013
- Paul Cristian. "Grant Shapps: ‘UKIP are no threat to a Tory majority in 2015, despite Eastleigh result’" — , March 1, 2013
- "Eastleigh by-election: Cameron vows to 'win people back'" — , March 1, 2013
- "UKIP beat Tories into third in Eastleigh as LiB Dems keep the seat" — , March 1, 2013
- "Mike Thornton Liberal Democrats" — , February 24, 2013
- Caroline Davies and Esther Addley. "Chris Huhne facing jail sentence after admitting perverting course of justice" — , February 4, 2013
- "BBC News | Election 2010 | Constituency | Eastleigh" — , March 3, 2013 (date of access)