Martin Luther King Jr.'s oldest daughter Yolanda King dies at age 51
Wednesday, May 16, 2007
The cause of her death is still unknown, but reports say that she was suffering from heart related problems and that shortly after King gave a speech, she collapsed.
"She was an actress, author, producer, advocate for peace and nonviolence, who was known and loved for her motivational and inspirational contributions to society," said a statement issued by King's family.
King was born on November 17, 1955 in Montgomery, Alabama. An actress, speaker and producer, King played Rosa Parks in the King miniseries in 1978. She was also the CEO of Higher Grounds Productions, a company that produces events related to spirituality and which advertised King for speeches and performances.
"We must keep reaching across the table and, in the tradition of Martin Luther King Jr. and Coretta Scott King, feed each other," said King during a January speech at Ebenezer Baptist Church.
- "Daughter of Martin Luther King Jr. Dies" — , May 16, 2007
- Associated Press. "Daughter of Martin Luther King Jr. Dies" — , May 16, 2007
- "Eldest daughter of Martin Luther King Jr. dies" — , May 16, 2007
- "Yolanda King Dead At Age 51" — , May 16, 2007
- "MLK's eldest child dies at 51" — , May 16, 2007