North Korea successfully launches long range rocket
Wednesday, December 12, 2012
has successfully launched a long range rocket. The launch occurred at 9:51 a.m. local time according to 's news agency, two days after the country said it might delay the launch until as late as December 29 to repair a "technical deficiency" in the rocket.
"The rocket stages fell on areas in line with its earlier announcement and the launch appears to be successful," said a South Korean military official as quoted by Yonhap.(NORAD) also confirmed the successful launch in a statement saying, "Initial indications are that the first stage fell into the Yellow Sea. The second stage was assessed to fall into the Philippine Sea. Initial indications are that the missile deployed an object that appeared to achieve orbit." Pieces of the rocket stages reportedly fell into the sea near the coast of the .
North Korea says the-3 rocket carried a weather satellite which was successfully placed into orbit. "The second version of satellite Kwangmyongsong-3 successfully lifted off from the by carrier rocket Unha-3 on Wednesday. The satellite entered its preset orbit," said the North Korean government in a statement via the .
, the chairwoman of the and a representing , condemned the launch saying it's an example that North Korea is "moving ever closer towards its ultimate goal of producing a nuclear ballistic missile".
This is the second long range rocket North Korea fired this year. In April, the country failed at an attempt to launch a multistage rocket into orbit in honor of the anniversary of100th birthday. The government publicly acknowledged its rocket broke up in flight over before ever making it into orbit.
- "N. Korea claims success in rocket launch" — , December 12, 2012
- "N. Korea closer to nuclear ballistic missile goal: U.S. House panel leader" — , December 12, 2012
- "First stage of N. Korean rocket falls in Yellow Sea: Seoul official" — , December 12, 2012
- "Japan says N. Korea's rocket debris fell into waters off Philippines" — , December 12, 2012
- "N. Korea fires off long-range rocket: Seoul official" — , December 12, 2012
- "NORAD acknowledges missile launch" — , December 11, 2012
- "North Korea says weather satellite has entered orbit" — , December 11, 2012
- Agence France-Presse. "S. Korea military says North rocket launch a success: report" — , December 11, 2012
- Jack Kim and Mayumi Negishi. "UPDATE 3-North Korea launches rocket in defiance of critics" — , December 11, 2012