North Korea warns of nuclear action
Monday, July 26, 2010
The National Defense Comission of North Korea, headed by their leader Kim Jong-il, declared that they would "counter with their powerful nuclear deterrence the largest-ever nuclear war exercises to be staged by the U.S. and the South Korean puppet forces" in a "retaliatory sacred war." Ri Tong-il, an official with North Korea’s delegation to the ASEAN security forum, had said earlier that they would show a "physical response" to the drills. Though Japan sent four military observers in apparent support of the drills, China criticized the plans.
Tensions had recently become especially high in both sides of Korea after the sinking of the warship Cheonan in South Korean waters, killing over 40 people. An international investigation concluded that the warship was sunk by a North Korean torpedo. North Korea still strongly denies any involvement in the incident, calling the results "fabricated" and refusing to apologize. "If anyone should apologize," said Ri, "it should be South Korea, responsible for driving the situation on the Korean peninsula to the brink of an explosion."
Despite this, on 25 July 2010, the US and South Korea began their major military drills together in the Sea of Japan.
Related news 
- "South Korean navy ship sinks off North Korean coast" — Wikinews, March 26, 2010
- "North Korea denies involvement in sinking of South Korean warship" — Wikinews, April 18, 2010
- "Clinton warns North Korea of "provocative behavior"" — Wikinews, May 22, 2010
- "US and South Korea to conduct naval exercises in response to warship sinking" — Wikinews, May 24, 2010
- "North Korea ramps up threats against military exercises" — , July 24, 2010
- "BBC News - North Korea warns of nuclear 'sacred war'" — , 24 July 2010
- Jim Gomez. "NKorea threatens 'nuclear deterrence' over drills" — , 24 July 2010
- "US South Korea drill: South Korea US military exercise increases the risk of war" — , 25 July 2010