O.J. Simpson named suspect in robbery
Friday, September 14, 2007
Reports say that O.J. Simpson, a former American football player is a suspect in a robbery that took place on Thursday night at the Palace Station Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada. Simpson was not immediately arrested and was later released. He was not a guest at the hotel.
Las Vegas Metropolitan Police (LVMPD) began to question Simpson and at least five other people, after they were accused of breaking into a room in the hotel, with at least one of the individuals holding a gun, but its not known if the room was a guest room.
Several sports memorabilia items, all previously belonging to Simpson, were reported to be stolen from the room, which was registered to sports memorabilia collector Alfred Beardsley, and reports say that when police found the items, Simpson claimed that they belonged to him. Among the items stolen is believed to be a suit that Simpson wore during his 1995 murder trial, an autographed item that had been signed by Joe Montana, and "never before released" version of Simpson's book If I Did It. Simpson was found not guilty of the murders of his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman.
"When they talked to him, Simpson made the comment that he believed the memorabilia was his. We're getting conflicting stories from the two sides," said Jose Montoya, a spokesman for the LVMPD.
Reports say that Beardsley was going to sell the items and made plans to meet with someone on Thursday night who was interested in purchasing them. The unnamed individual, along with OJ claimed to be police officers and ordered Beardsley to turn over his cellular phone, which he refused. He then claims one of the men "roughed him up" before stealing every collectible in the room.
Police are expected to release a statement to the media later today.
- "Did OJ Rob A Guy? -- Gunmen Allegations" — , September 14, 2007
- "O.J. Simpson a suspect in casino break-in" — , September 14, 2007
- "O.J. Simpson -- Ocean's 32?" — , September 14, 2007
- Kathleen Hennessey. "Simpson Questioned in Casino Break-In" — , September 14, 2007
- "Wanted: O.J. Simpson???" — , September 14, 2007
- "OJ Simpson In Robbery Quiz" — , September 14, 2007
- "O.J. Simpson Being Held for Questioning at Palace Station" — , September 14, 2007
- "Report: O.J. Simpson Being Questioned About Robbery" — , September 14, 2007
- "O.J. Simpson Questioned In Connection With Casino Robbery" — , September 14, 2007