One Australian male and female archer qualify for Olympics after Ogden event
Saturday, June 23, 2012
At the 2012 Oceania Championships, Australia qualified a male and female archer to represent Australia at the Olympics. The Ogden-based qualifying competition was an opportunity for Australia to qualify additional archers and both a men's and a women's team with three available spots for each.
On the men's team side, with Turkey 214–204 in the 1/8th round, then beat Romania 216–203 to qualify for the semi-finals. Australia's men lost to India 209–221 to go into the bronze medal match, where they lost to Chinese Taipei 214–216. With only the top three national teams qualifying, Australia did not qualify for the last available Olympic spot for the men's team event., , and representing the country, Australia beat
On the women's side, the Australian team of Elisa Barnard, Alice Ingley, and Deonne Bridger was eliminated early on and did not advance to the knockout round.
In the men's individual elimination competition, Tyack beat Peart of Great Britain 6–4 and lost to Duenas of Canada 3–7. Worth beat Hristov of Bulgaria 6–0, fellow Australian Kim 6–2, and the United States's Ellison 6–4 and Wukie 6–4, before losing to Luis of Mexico 3–7. Kim beat Gankin of Kazakhstan 6–4 before losing to his teammate Worth. beat Curchod of Switzerland 6–2 before losing to Tilmaz of Turkey 3–7.
In the women's individual elimination competition, Mongolia. Elisa Barnard had more success, beating Gonzalez of Mexico 7–3 and Jager of Denmark 6–4 before being eliminated 4–6 in a match against Oliver of Great Britain.went out in the first round following a 2–6 loss to Lee of Canada. also went out in the first round following a loss to Oyunsuren of
Australia will likely be sending Western Australian Olympics since the sport was re-introduced to the programme in 1972.and New South Walesman Elisa Barnard to the Games, continuing a tradition of Australian archers competing at the
Related news 
- "Australian archer Alice Ingley readies for potential Olympic spot" — Wikinews, March 27, 2012
- "Australian archer Odette Snazelle in Canberra for nationals" — Wikinews, March 27, 2012
- Taiwan knocks Australia out of the Games" — , June 23, 2012 . "
- "Olympic Team Qualifying Tournament" — , June 22, 2010
- John Salvado. "Aust men's archery team miss Olympics" — , June 22, 2010
- "World Cup Ogden and Olympic Qualifying Tournament" — , June 21, 2012
- John Salvado. "Two Aussie archers qualify for Olympics" — , June 21, 2012