Over one hundred die in Madrid plane crash
Wednesday, August 20, 2008
A passenger plane leaving fromhas crashed during take-off. 153 fatalities and 19 injuries have been reported amongst those who were on the aircraft. Flight JK5022, operated by , was destined for in the , when it skidded off the end of the runway in good weather at 14:45 local time. An engine of the aircraft is reported to have caught fire during the attempted takeoff.
A spokesman forstated that there were only 26 survivors. The plane at the time was carrying 173 people. 7 survivors later died en route to hospital.
The cause is unknown, but reports indicate that the left engine of the United States agency National Transportation Safety Board said it was sending a team to help with the investigation and reported that "the aircraft broke apart and a post-crash fire ensued."was on fire during take-off. The
"Helicopters are continually heading to the scene, dropping lots of water... The smoke has really died down now, things seem to be more under control," said Stephanie McGovern from the BBC, commenting on the incident. Manuel Moleno, who witnessed the crash, said that "I've seen around 50 ambulances. They're still coming and going, so there may still be more casualties."
"SAS is doing everything possible to help passengers and next-of-kin and to assist Spanish authorities at this difficult time," read a statement from, the -based company that owns Spanair. "SAS will provide further information as soon as it becomes available."
"Boeing sends its deep condolences to the families and friends of those lost in the crash of Spanair flight 5022, and its wishes for the quick recovery of the injured," said manufacturerwhich merged with McDonnell Douglas in 1997. "We stand ready to provide technical assistance."
- "Un avión sufre un aparatoso accidente al despegar en la T-4 del aeropuerto de Barajas" — , August 20, 2008 (Spanish)
- "Many dead in Madrid plane crash" — , August 20, 2008
- Al Goodman. "Deaths reported in Spanish plane crash" — , August 20, 2008
- Paul Tobin. "Spanair Jet Crashes in Madrid, Killing 153 People (Update2)" — , August 20, 2008
- Harold Heckle. "147 killed in plane crash at Madrid airport" — , August 20, 2008
- Press Release: "NTSB sends team to Madrid to support MD-82 aircraft accident investigation" — National Transportation Safety Board, August 20, 2008