- 1 What are we looking for here?
- 2 Tables
- 3 Does this ever get updated?
- 4 Australian Open (tennis)
- 5 Bonds?
- 6 World Championship
- 7 Please check last edit on the portal
- 8 In process
- 9 Not News, Entertainment
- 10 Portal revamp
- 11 Football
- 12 Standings in the Template namespace
- 13 Barclays Premiership space is messed up
- 14 dynamic pagelist?
What are we looking for here?
So what exactly are we looking for here? Scores of games? Exceptional news, like players maing waves by talking before games, the brawls, that kinda thing? Do we want to create as comprehensive and complete a list of scores for all sports as possible? or not do any scores at all? Lyellin 20:57, 21 Nov 2004 (UTC)
I don't know. I think scores for sports would be a bit complex to keep up, as, say, baseball and hockey games go on every day. I'd support either way, but I'll leave the debate open. --wjmoore 18:28, 23 March 2007 (UTC)
I've created a section called Table Snapshots - it is designed to give the top 4 or 5 (or whatever suits) in the major world leagues. It hopefully will link to a new page which will have full tables of all major leagues. I will be working on the idea over the next few days - feel free to help. CGorman 16:18, 16 Feb 2005 (UTC)
- I added a table for Major League Baseball. Also, if you click on the link, it will take you to an expanded MLB coverage page. That page needs some work, but it is a start. --Timc 15:41, 5 Apr 2005 (UTC)
Does this ever get updated?
I find Wikinews coverage of sports is quite lacking. There is a lot of potential: Wikipedia articles on current sport events get updated very quickly. If all these people could be persuaded to work on Wikinews, that would be nice. Grue 07:02, 3 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- I agree our sports coverage is poor. We only have about 15-20 regular writers many of whom are simply too tired to write more than one article a day. → CGorman (Talk) 14:23, 3 Apr 2005 (UTC)
I try to get in a major NHL or NFL story every day, but like CGorman said, I just don't have time to sit around all day writing news articles. At least articles that I'm writing for free. I think if we could get a few more writers in here covering more than the NFL, NHL and Cricket, we could get some good sports stories in. --wjmoore 18:31, 23 March 2007 (UTC)
Australian Open (tennis)
I'm going to go (well, for a few days), and hopefully take some pictures. Is anyone interested on working on article/s about this? It starts next week. It would be nice if there was a SINGLE tennis story here. :P commons|w:User:pfctdayelise 02:22, 12 January 2006 (UTC)
- Due to the overwhelming silence, I won't upload my photos with any urgency, but they will eventually appear in commons:Category:2006 Australian Open. commons:User:pfctdayelise 15:27, 16 January 2006 (UTC)
It's not definetly Czech flag in the table. It's probably flag of one part of Czechia, but nobody use is and I guess most of people could recognize it.
Yes. Is he famous somewhere? --Whnook 14:28, 13 December 2006 (UTC)
LOL. Famous. Yes, he's rather infamous. I think the reason nobody bothered writing about him is that nobody really likes him. I don't know about everyone else, but I only write about what interests me. --wjmoore 18:32, 23 March 2007 (UTC)
Where is the section on the 2006 Men's World Ice Hockey Championships? The rounds have begun. ~Anon
Please check last edit on the portal
someone who knows sports better then I, and where to look up this stuff, can you do a edit check on the last anon's edit, it looks suspect to me. user:Bawolff
I have started updating tables and such. Any help would be appreciated - I'm going to try to keep this updated as often as my schedule permits but I will not turn down offers of assistance. Theirishpianist 22:06, 30 January 2007 (UTC)
Not News, Entertainment
I'm not sure if anyone will agree with this, but I've always found it strange that sports scores were considered "news" at all. Are sports not simply entertainment? Do they really have equal footing with war developments, political issues, and other current events? As the popular mis-conception seems to differ, perhaps we could put them at least put them off in the corner someplace so they don't clutter up the headlines page. --Jwanders 10:05, 8 March 2007 (UTC)
- Well, they're a form of entertainment, but they're different enough to be seperate from culture imho. Bawolff ☺☻ 02:06, 12 March 2007 (UTC)
Since we seem to have acquired a few people who want to cover sports, I think we should encourage them to build this portal up so that it contains a lot more information. I don't think the country/region split works here and it should be a split by sport. Like on the main page for old news collapsed sections could be used to have a lot of detail available on the page with a single click. --Brian McNeil / talk 21:34, 11 March 2007 (UTC)
- I agree. Bawolff ☺☻ 03:00, 12 March 2007 (UTC)
- I too agree, i was just thinking about this, and then i saw someone was already smart enough to suggest it. I am currently attempting to develope a design which allows all sports to be represented equally on the page.—Dark Squall 22:29, 28 March 2007 (UTC)
Use of the word "Football" without clarification in story titles is confusing. 126.96.36.199 00:52, 18 March 2007 (UTC)
Yeah, I keep seeing "football" and thinking American Football. Because, you know, it's "soccer" over here in the states.
I live in Canada, but i still call it football. I'm also the one writing most of the "football" articles here. Its pretty simple to tell once you click on the article anyway.—Dark Squall 02:06, 24 March 2007 (UTC)
- Football (American) is usually starts with "NFL:". If it's college, it's under "NCAA Football" if it's just plain "Football", you can assume it's Football/Soccer. --wjmoore 02:57, 15 April 2007 (UTC)
Standings in the Template namespace
Why are these standings in Template namespace? Like Template:NBA, Template:NHL, and Template:MLB? I added the MLB one because I assumed that there was some reason they were in Template, but looking back, it seems pretty ridiculous. Zachary talk 07:53, 3 April 2007 (UTC)
- Are they there to be linked to? Like in an NHL article, you could put Complete NHL Standings? For use in an article? I didn't even know those existed. --wjmoore 03:00, 15 April 2007 (UTC)
Barclays Premiership space is messed up
Just a quick note to say that the dynamic page list thing for the links to sports news seems to contain some odd links - currently the top link for 'Europe' sports news seems to be a Stage Win from the Tour du France 2 years ago..... dunno what do to about it, but thought someone might like to know :-) Privatemusings (talk) 23:54, 1 March 2009 (UTC)