Rocky Anderson announces he will seek Americans Elect nomination
Thursday, March 15, 2012
Former U.S. presidential nomination of Americans Elect, an independent organization hoping to field a nonpartisan presidential ticket. Anderson is already the nominee of the , which he founded late last year.announced yesterday that he will seek the
Anderson served as mayor of Salt Lake City from 2000 to 2008 as a Democrat. During his time in office, he enacted proposals to reduce the city's carbon emissions and reformed its criminal justice system. After leaving office, he grew critical of President Barack Obama, and left the Democratic Party. He later established the Justice Party, which promotes "social justice, environmental justice, and economic justice" as well as . The party has qualified for the ballot in Utah and Mississippi.
Americans Elect has already attained ballot access in eighteen states, and is petitioning to appear in all fifty. It hopes to nominate a ticket "responsive to the vast majority of citizens while remaining independent of special interests and the partisan interests of either major political party." Former Louisiana and economist have both announced their intentions to seek the party's nomination. Additionally, former and 2012 presidential candidate has received recent speculation that he will make a run for the nomination with former Democratic Senator as his .
In a press release, Anderson explained, "The Democrats and Republicans no longer respect nor represent the public interest. They both feed from the same trough of, and depend upon, special interest money", but Americans Elect "gives the American people the ability to select their choice for President without worrying about the corporate investors backing their campaign."
Related articles 
- "Buddy Roemer ends Republican presidential bid to seek Reform Party nomination" — Wikinews, February 23, 2012
- "On the campaign trail, January 2012" — Wikinews, February 3, 2012
- "Wikinews interviews former Salt Lake City mayor and 2012 presidential candidate Rocky Anderson" — Wikinews, December 21, 2011
- "Campaign manager: 100 percent chance Buddy Roemer will run for Americans Elect presidential nomination" — Wikinews, December 1, 2011
- "Candidates" — , March 15, 2012 (date of access)
- "Rocky Anderson: Officially Declared Americans Elect Candidate (Press Release)" — , March 14, 2012
- "AE Begins Signature Drive to Gain Ballot Access in Texas (Press Release)" — , March 14, 2012
- "Unsubstantiated Rumor Says Jon Huntsman Will Seek Americans Elect Presidential Nomination" — , March 13, 2012
- "Justice Party Utah Petition is Valid" — , March 6, 2012