Samsung's 4 Gigabit flash memory begins mass production
Wednesday, June 1, 2005
South Korean electronics giant has begun mass production of a new 4 . This is twice the size of almost all the biggest memory devices currently available.
The firm is using a new 70-process which enables it to produce the smallest cell on the market, enabling a far higher density than competitors. The device can write data at 16- per second, twice as fast as a 90nm 2Gb device.
Possible applications of the new memory will most likely be as a component in, top end mobile phones, , , and other portable devices.
The new form ofmemory writes and reads data faster than previous versions — up to 16 megabytes per second. The storage of real-time high-definition video is feasible on the chips, according to Samsung. The company also believes their Flash-based disk drives could replace hard drives in laptops since they will work faster, quieter and cooler than drives currently in use.
- Ed Oswald. "Samsung Debuts High Capacity Flash" — , June 1, 2005
- "SKorea's Samsung Electronics produces first 4-gigabit NAND flash memory" — , June 1, 2005
- Graeme Wearden. "Samsung starts mass production of 70nm flash" — , June 1, 2005
- Paul Kallender. "Samsung moves to 70nm Flash" — , May 31, 2005
- Press Release: "Samsung Produces First 4-Gigabit NAND Flash Memory Using 70-nanometer Technology (Samsung press release)" — Samsung, May 30, 2005
|The text of this article has been released into the public domain. In the event that this is not legally possible, this article may be used for any purpose, without any condition, unless such conditions are required by law. This applies worldwide. Copyright terms on images, however, may vary, so please check individual image pages prior to duplication.
Please note that this only applies to Wikinews content created prior to September 25, 2005. All content created after that date is released under a Creative Commons license which is mentioned at the bottom of each article. This is currently the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.