Spider-Man to save Obama's Inauguration Day in upcoming Marvel comic
Friday, January 9, 2009
A six-page tongue-in-cheek story, to appear in The Amazing Spider-Man issue 583, "Spidey Meets the President!" is created by Zeb Wells, Todd Nauck and Frank D'Armata. The issue features Peter Parker visiting Washington, D.C., on photo assignment to cover the Presidential and Vice Presidential inauguration ceremony. The Chameleon is also in town, hoping to sabotage the ceremony with a look-a-like impostor of Obama. Parker's alter-ego Spiderman must save the day from his arch-enemy's nefarious plans.
The issue will appear on newsstands January 14, before the actual inauguration.
Among the lines of dialog in the issue are "Ya hear that, Chameleon? The president-elect here just appointed me ... secretary of shuttin' you up."
The issue will have a commemorative cover, and retail for US$3.99 (£2.65). Alan Giroux, owner of All About Books and Comics in Phoenix, says he predicts the issue to be on the collectors' market for $20 by the first day. "This issue will have a lot of heat and go for premium prices. I already have people calling about it," he said.
The issue's cover will feature Obama smiling, with a thumbs up pose. Spiderman is featured hanging upside-down beside him, whispering: "Hey, if you get to be on my cover, can I be on the dollar bill?"
Obama a fan of Spider-Man 
According to Marvel comic's editor-in-chief Joe Quesada, the publication series learned that the President-elect is a long-time fan and collector as a kid of the Marvel super hero. "When we heard that president-elect Obama is a collector of Spider-Man comics, we knew that these two historic figures had to meet in our comics' Marvel Universe. A Spider-Man fan moving into the Oval Office is an event that must be commemorated in the pages of Amazing Spider-Man."
During his campaigning, Mr. Obama made mention of Spider-Man at child-oriented events. He told Entertainment Weekly magazine that Batman and Spider-Man were his favorite superheroes, because of their "inner turmoil".
Related news 
- "Barack Obama elected 44th President of the United States" — Wikinews, November 5, 2008
- Claudia Parsons. "Spider-Man celebrates Obama as "nerd-in-chief"" — , January 9, 2009
- Robert K. Elder. "Barack Obama to appear in new Spider-Man comic book" — , January 9, 2009
- "Comic take on inauguration" — , January 9, 2009
- David Colton. "Obama, Spider-Man on the same comic-book page" — , January 9, 2009
- Lincoln Archer. "Obama, Spiderman team up - Hail to the Geek" — , January 9, 2009
- Lewis Wallace. "Obama Gets Guest Spot in Amazing Spider-Man" — , January 8, 2009