Thousands rally in Columbus, Ohio, for undocumented immigrants' rights
Tuesday, March 28, 2006
On March 26, thousands rallied outside the Columbus, Ohio statehouse, advocating rights for undocumented immigrants. This was one of a series of rallies following one in Los Angeles, which was reported to have drawn over 500,000 attendees.
The sponsoring coalition included the Immigrant Worker Project, the Farm Labor Organizing Committee (FLOC), UFCW Local 880, MIGUATE (of [Dover, Ohio]), and the Red [network] de Inmigrantes de Ohio. Organizers wanted to raise awareness of bill pending in the US Senate, HR 4437, which would make it a felony to be an illegal alien, or to assist aliens in entering or staying the country illegally. Organizers also called for "true" immigration reform plan that would provide a path to citizenship for all immigrant workers.
Related Wikinews 
- "Over five hundred hispanic students protest immigration laws in Los Angeles" — Wikinews, March 24, 2006
- Jaime G.. "East LA + Riverside Students WALK OUT to Protest HR 4377" — , March 2006
- Jessica Brown, AP. "Thousands protest immigration plan" — , March 27, 2006
- Richard Renner's photos of the rally
- Columbus Dispatch photo
- Immigrant Worker Project
- Farm Labor Organizing Committee (FLOC)
- UFCW Local 880