Turkish homeless man burns to death after being neglected
Friday, January 19, 2007
On one of the very crowded streets of Istanbul, Turkey, an elderly homeless man died of burns thought to have been caused by a fire he lit to warm himself. The police officers who came to help could not extinguish the fire with the small bottles of water which they had.
The man was seen earlier in one of the most crowded streets of Istanbul screaming "I do not have a blanket, someone stole my blanket!". He was offered a cookie and a coat by two passers-by before someone called an ambulance. He was refused admittance to two different hospitals because he lacked identification, and the ambulance eventually left him where he was picked up.
He was shaking. He couldn't walk. I brought him 15 - 20 empty boxes and started a fire for him to get warm. I put my coat on him, he was wet. They told us that he died in the morning.
I just saw him the other day. I gave him a cookie. He thanked, but didn't accept. He was shaking, miserable. I would have taken him home, only if I knew.
- Ankara. "Turkish Press Yesterday: None of us are innocent" — , January 19, 2007
- Timur Soykan. "Masum değiliz hiçbirimiz... (None of us are innocent)" — , January 18, 2007(Turkish)