Maxim, welcome to Wikinews! I hope you like the place and decide to stay. Here are a few good links for newcomers:
Our key policies - if you read anything, read these!
- Wikinews:Neutral point of view - tell every side to a story in a fair and balanced way
- Wikinews:Cite sources - everything in a Wikinews article must be sourced
Here a few pointers to help you get to know Wikinews:
- Wikinews:Introduction - overview of the site
- Wikinews:Writing an article - how to write and publish a complete article
- Wikinews:Content guide - what's suitable for Wikinews
- Wikinews:Style guide - how articles should look before publishing
- Wikinews:Contents - the contents page.
There are always things to do on Wikinews:
- Existing articles need expanding and checking for spelling and mistakes
- The front page lead articles often need updating
- Developing stories need finishing and publishing
- Discussions need your input
- Audio Wikinews could always use more contributors
- And of course, stories need writing!
By the way, you can sign your name on Talk pages using four tildes (~~~~), which produces your name and the current date. If you have any questions, you can ask them at the water cooler or to anyone on the Welcommittee, or ask me on my Talk page. Again, welcome!Lyellin 15:24, 7 October 2007 (UTC)
NHL news 
Great job! Thanks a lot for your help in today's NHL news, as well as your occasional copy edits to the other dailies. Feel free to write them whenever you can/want to, if you want to write them on the weekends then that's fine with me.
By the way, there's a useful way for pre-generating most of the NHL news article. This site generates the entire page (aside from the game summaries). This started saving me a great deal of time; before, I had to fill out all the box scores first before I could even start writing the summaries. I think you'll find this useful.
- The Player of the Day is either a skater that has the most points of the day or a goaltender who had a shutout victory, but there are a number of different things to take into consideration. There's some more information at Wikinews talk:Sports coverage about some criteria that is taken into consideration for this. (→Zachary) 20:41, 15 March 2008 (UTC)
Re: Welcome 
Bertha update 
Hey! Saw after I finished linking and inserting new image that you issued a redirect. My article has new and important update info. Wasn't sure if I was supposed to update an older story or not? Not sure of the protocol here. Just trying to lend a hand. Herb (talk)
- It's redundant to Bertha becomes first hurricane of 2008 Atlantic season. The only thing different, I believe, was newer numbers, which can be added to the existing article. Maxim(talk) 21:38, 7 July 2008 (UTC)
Canadian football 
Hello. I wanted to mention that the canadian football category was previously merged to North America football category per a deletion request(see wikinews:Deletion_requests/Archives/Deleted_Archive_11#Category:Football_.28Canadian.29 )With that being said, that was a long time ago, and no one who voted on that dr knew anything about Canadian Football (or any other type of football), so if you think there different enough for different category go right ahead, this message is in no way intended to put a damper on any enthusiasim, just thought its something you should be aware of. Happy editing. Bawolff ☺☻ 18:11, 9 July 2008 (UTC)
- Noted. I was modeling them after NHL game summaries Zachary and I did in the winter/spring (see my userpage for some examples), which only used the NHL.com website as a source. Maxim(talk) 00:45, 12 July 2008 (UTC)
- In case Maxim isn't around, of course it is, as long as you're improving them. Majorly (talk) 16:47, 23 July 2008 (UTC)