User talk:Brent Dax/Main Page
From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
This is a semi-proposal for a new Main Page layout. (I say "semi" because I'm not entirely happy with it.) The basic ideas are:
- Emphasis shift: With the new layout, the main page's emphasis is more on the content, rather than the site itself. This seems better to me.
- "News" in the left column, "Wikinews" in the right: separate the things Wikinewsies care about from the things casual visitors would.
- Keep similar things together: I always hated how there were three lead articles, none of which were anywhere near the others (when you looked at it from a scrolling standpoint).
- Get interesting-looking stuff above the bottom of the page: we want to grab visitors' attention, and the way to do that is with interesting text and pictures. The long lists of links are mostly off-screen.
- Make original reporting more prominent: We want to encourage this stuff, right?
There are still a few issues I have with this layout, mainly because I wanted to keep using the same underlying templates:
- I don't like the "Featured story" on the third lead.
- I'd prefer to have fewer days of news on the page. This might also allow the weather to move into the left column, where it probably belongs.
- I'm really not sure what to do with the list of countries; at the moment it's at the bottom, but I don't really like that.
- There is some extra spacing above the second and third leads that should be removed.