Leif, welcome to Wikinews! I hope you like the place and decide to stay. Here are a few good links for newcomers:
Our key policies - if you read anything, read these!
- Wikinews:Neutral point of view - tell every side to a story in a fair and balanced way
- Wikinews:Cite sources - everything in a Wikinews article must be sourced
Here a few pointers to help you get to know Wikinews:
- Wikinews:Introduction - overview of the site
- Wikinews:Writing an article - how to write and publish a complete article
- Wikinews:Content guide - what's suitable for Wikinews
- Wikinews:Style guide - how articles should look before publishing
- Wikinews:Contents - the contents page.
There are always things to do on Wikinews:
- Existing articles need expanding and checking for spelling and mistakes
- The front page lead articles often need updating
- Developing stories need finishing and publishing
- Discussions need your input
- Audio Wikinews could always use more contributors
- And of course, stories need writing!
By the way, you can sign your name on Talk pages using four tildes (~~~~), which produces your name and the current date. If you have any questions, you can ask them at the water cooler or to anyone on the Welcommittee, or ask me on my Talk page. Again, welcome! → CGorman (Talk) July 2, 2005 14:31 (UTC)
Story corrections 
Post up a story and don't worry about it. People is people.
Your notion of making story corrections is valid...
...but simply correcting the misinformation is more expedient and saves debate, that's how fluid this site is. But if the whole story is false, then let's get rid of it and save everybody time and debate.
I note your thinking that content of articles appearing the 'Developing stories' section represents a form of being published. I don't know what to think about that other than to say this is public domain. Nobody's report is necessarily more accurate than another. That's why we strive to cite sources. And when the story did get looked into, it was found false. That points to a vigilant need at Wikinews, where in this case it was performed by Ilya.