I've been working on coding a brand new skin specifically for Wikinews. This is not a modification of any existing skin, but a new skin built from scratch. It is inspired by viceroy321's mockup in the Wikinews skin design contest. As of Mar. 25th, the skin is complete, including commented, very customizable CSS. I am still working on some tweaks, but the bulk of the skin is done.
I've included several images here (Most likely outdated).
Wikinews is a news site, and MonoBook just doesn't fit a news theme. The idea behind this skin is to give Wikinews a more "newsy" layout while preserving the usability of a Wiki. To that extent, I believe I've succeeded.
As of this writing, functionality is total and equivalent to MonoBook, save a few exceptions:
- The skin doesn't support the default (common) cascading style sheet used for printing, so I'll have to make one from scratch.
- IE: The skin displays just fine in IE, but it doesn't support page scaling (fixed-width)
- Internet Explorer 5 and up: As close as it'll get, Mr. Gates' fault (95%)
- Firefox, all versions: Full (100%)
- Opera: Full, maybe some font tweaks (98%)
- Safari: Full (100%)
- Konqueror: Full (100%)
- Other browsers: Untested (Assume none. If you use another browser, visit the FarkWiki and drop me a line with results)
Multi-language compatibility (code)
Implement logos Add page footers (copyright, powered by notices) Fix cell backgrounds Implement CSS Clean up and comment the code
- Create a printer-friendly cascading style sheet
Create "IE-fixes" cascading style sheet to address fixed page width issue Format page footers Test functionality in Safari, other browsers
- CSS overhaul and optimization
- Minor pokes and prods (finishing touches)
These screenshots are current as of April 17th:
Here is the old version of the skin as per request for comparison purposes.
Comments are appreciated, post them here:
- I hope you'll scale that right collumn back a bit? And could you add a margin to the left? The text is now on the edge of the screen, and that's irritating. -- Redge (Talk) 17:43, 24 Mar 2005 (UTC)
- Noclip - THANKS! This is cool, and I hope it gets Datrio challenged too.
- Europe is missing from the selections of regions at the top. — DV 00:58, 26 Mar 2005 (UTC)
- Oops! Added. -- Noclip
- Well, this one has my vote so far. Can you show a story with an image with an image caption in it? -- Davodd | Talk 03:15, 29 Mar 2005 (UTC)
- I think that's fanstastic. A few question - does it render well at other screen resolutions? How does it perform in other browsers (I assume you're using Firefox)? Dan100 (Talk) 09:33, 29 Mar 2005 (UTC)
- Thanks. Firefox, Safari and Opera work just fine, IE has a fixed-width issue that I'm working on ATM. -- Noclip 13:19, 29 Mar 2005 (UTC)
- Maybe you could supply a copy of the CSS file which people could drop into their respective myskin.css files to try out? --Phil | Talk 09:48, 31 Mar 2005 (UTC)
- Sadly, CSS can't give you the whole look. It requires a .php file located in the /skins/ subdirectory of the Wiki. It's selectable from a user's preferences when it's installed.
- I might test it on Konqueror (Khtml) web browser Marshaü 13:36, 11 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- We probably don't need a link to Submit a story on every page, but we do need one for the Workspace, also does the search box need to take up an extra line? Dan100 (Talk) 07:25, 16 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- The IE search box bug is squashed as of the latest update (see next comment). The submit story link can go later if need be.
- I've moved the development over to another Wiki. The skin itself can be viewed here from now on. This page will remain the general information page for the skin. Noclip 04:16, 17 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- Imho you should move the Search Field one line down, so it aligns with the text. On the bbc website that makes sense, but not here. you are just wasting space. I made the mistake as well, sorry for that. viceroy321
- Is the skin avalable to modify? Its a bit huge on the top, without much content - Less banner, more news. Maybe even a banner-scroller. -Stevertigo 20:00, 30 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- Personally, I think the top and right bars are a little dark. Could you lighten them up a bit? It would also be good to have space for a Second and Third Lead article. NGerda 22:15, 11 May 2005 (UTC)
- My only qualm is the lack of vertical headroom (i.e. space) for the article. Can the header by made smaller? Kevin Baastalk 04:59, 29 May 2005 (UTC)
- What happened? No updates since May 05? Is this skin dead ?
Last update: 04:16, 17 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- Does the brilliant originator of this skin have a release date in mind? We hope the answer's yes and that it's some time in 2006.
10 March 2006
- Where may I get a download of this skin? I like the neatness and contemporary look.
- I know there are lots of comments about this very point, but the dead link to the test-wiki and the lack of recent information leave the impression that this project is abandoned. Which would be a pity since it is the best looking skin for mediawiki I have seen so far. Could you please release the current version of the skins so that others (I include myself here) might do the rest of the development? From what is mentioned here this shouldn't be too much.
- try at wikipedia:user talk:noclip he is active there. (last edit at may 2nd). Also see meta:Wikinews skin contest (which has gone dead). I personally like cologne blue, but I hope this does get finished by someone eventually.see /Latest_code (or here for better link (with mimetype css for in browser display), mimetype php (may be auto downloaded by your browser) Bawolff ☺☻ 19:41, 5 May 2006 (UTC)
- Theres also some other alt skins avalible at special:preferences and on some browsers view→Page Style. (subskins on monobook skin)