Wikinews Shorts: June 5, 2007
A compilation of brief news reports for Tuesday, June 5, 2007.
Moderate earthquake shakes central Greece
"The strong earthquake was measured at 5.3 with the epicenter on the edge of Trichonida lake, some 110 kilometres [70 miles] west of Athens," an Athens Geodynamic Institute official said.
- Reuters. "Earthquake rattles central Greece" — , June 5, 2007
- Deutsche Presse-Agentur. "Moderate earthquake rattles western Greece, no injuries" — , June 5, 2007
- "Earthquake Rattles Central Greece" — , June 5, 2007
- Usgs. "Magnitude 5.0 - GREECE" — , June 5, 2007
Flemish Minister-President will not call Armenian massacre 'genocide'
"Before a politician can judge if something is a genocide, the international institutions must speak out about it. ...As a politician it is not wise to speak about a genocide until experts have judged it. I don't stand alone with my view and I have nothing to add to this," Leterme said.
The matter of the so-called Armenian Genocide lies very sensitive with some Belgian voters of Turkish descent. The situation reminds of the Dutch elections, when Wouter Bos from the Dutch Labour Party (PvdA) refused to speak of an "Armenian genocide". The polls project that Leterme's party CD&V is to become the biggest political party of Flanders in the upcoming federal elections in Belgium next Sunday.
- "French parliament approves bill on Armenian Genocide denial" — Wikinews, October 12, 2006
- "Leterme casts doubt on Armenian genocide" — , June 5, 2007
- "Leterme trekt Armeense genocide in twijfel" — , June 5, 2007 (Dutch)
- "Leterme twijfelt aan Armeense genocide" — , June 5, 2007 (Dutch)
Mudslide buries Valley of Geysers
Millions of cubic meters of mud and rocks fell into the 6-kilometre-long basin, wiping out about two-thirds of the valley, which contains around 90 geysers and many hot springs. Located in the Kamchatka Peninsula in the Kronotsky Nature Reserve, the valley wasn't discovered until 1941, and had only opened to foreign tourists in 1991.
- Jim Heintz. "Massive landslide destroys natural wonder of Russia's Valley of Geysers" — , June 5, 2007
- "Landslide destroys geyser valley" — , June 5, 2007
Back to the wild for pygmy kangaroos
Also known as pygmy kangaroos (similar Red-Necked Pademelon pictured), the animals have been rescued over time from illegal animal traders and from people's homes, where the little kangaroos were kept as pets. The species, Latin name Thylogale brunii, belongs to a family of seven kangaroo-like mammals that are found in forests of Papua, Western New Guinea and Papua New Guinea.
- Reuters. "Indonesia to return rare kangaroos to Papua forests" — , June 5, 2007
- Associated Press. "Indonesia returns rare kangaroos to wild" — , June 4, 2007