Wikinews Shorts: March 30, 2007
A compilation of brief news reports for Friday, March 30, 2007.
Boat capsizes in Guinea, up to 60 dead 
A boat carrying around 120 passengers capsized and sank off the coast of Guinea and as many as 60 did not survive. State television called the type of boat a pirogue, which is usually used for fishing. However, many people living in coastal communities in Guinea use open boats to travel between towns due to the poor roads.
- "Casualties in Guinea boat capsize" — , March 30, 2007
- Saliou Samb. "At least 60 dead as boat capsizes off Guinea" — , March 29, 2007
Maradona out of danger 
Diego Maradona, the Argentinian soccer legend is stable and recovering after being hospitalized on Wednesday. Doctors said that he was given sedatives to curb alcohol cravings. This is not the first health crisis for the 46 year-old Maradona.
- Luis Ampuero. "Maradona sedated to stop alcohol cravings" — , March 30, 2007
- Luis Ampuero. "Maradona sedated in hospital" — , March 29, 2007
- "Maradona 'sedated and recovering'" — , March 29, 2007
Thailand elections announced 
Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont has announced that a general election will be held on December 16 or 22. At the same time, he resisted requests from the military for emergency powers as anti-coup protests grow. Surayud was appointed prime minister by the military after the overthrow of his predecessor Thaksin Shinawatra in a coup last September.
- "Thai PM sets post-coup vote date" — , March 30, 2007
- Pracha Hariraksapitak. "Thai PM rejects emergency law, calls Dec poll" — , March 28, 2007
Ethiopian helicopter shot down in Somalia 
An Ethiopian helicopter battling rebel forces near Mogadishu in Somalia was hit by a missle and crashed. No survivors were reported. Ethiopian troops are helping Somali government forces against an insurgency. Dozens were killed in fighting on Thursday as a six-day truce was broken.
- "African Union peacekeepers come under attack in Mogadishu" — Wikinews, March 8, 2007
- "Helicopter shot down in Somalia" — , March 30, 2007
- Mohamed Olad Hassan, AP. "Report: Helicopter Shot Down in Somalia" — , March 30, 2007
|This page has been automatically archived by a robot, and is no longer publicly editable.|