Woman torches own house, attempting to kill spiders
Friday, September 2, 2005
Zuelpich police report that when spraying them with hairspray failed to kill them, the spiders were then subjected to being burned with a cigarette lighter. However, they were probably still covered with hairspray, which set alight the floor of the garage. The fire then spread to a hedge, and then to the house, which the woman failed to save with a garden hose. It is reported to be uninhabitable, but the neighbouring semi-detached house was spared, suffering only broken windows and exterior charring.
The damage is estimated at around €100,000 (£70,000 or $125,000.)
A policeman stated, "The family have had to look for somewhere else to stay. The spiders are gone though - that problem was solved."
- "German woman torches house trying to kill spiders" — , September 1, 2005
- Margaret Neighbour. "Killing spiders spins out of control as women burns down home" — , September 2, 2005