At least 56 killed in Brazil prison riot
Thursday, January 5, 2017
At least 56 inmates, mostly of rival drug gangs, were killed during a Sunday riot in Anisio Jobim Penitentiary Centre, a state prison located in Brazil, according to official report. Some of those killed were decapitated.,
According tostate Public Security Secretary Sergio Fontes, members of two criminal organisations, the Família do Norte (FDN) and the (PCC), were involved.
The conflict started on Sunday. It lasted at least seventeen hours until the authorities quelled the riot on Monday at 7 a.m. local time, according to Fontes.
According to Fontes, 74 inmates and twelve officers were held hostage, of whom some were released and others killed. Six decapitated bodies were thrown over the walls.
The Anisio Jobim Penitentiary Centre houses, by reports, several times its supposed capacity of inmates; 2230 on a capacity of 590 according to, 1224 on 454 according to .
According to officials, during the riot 112 inmates escaped.
Fontes said competition for drug trade was the main reason for the riot. Formersecretary Jose Vicente da Silva said Brazil's prison system mismanagement and economic recession contributed to the riot.
This latest riot is considered the deadliest since thein , , where 111 inmates were killed, most by the police who stormed the penitentiary.
Within a day of the latest riot at the Anisio Jobim Penitentiary Centre, individual riots at two other Manaus prisons reportedly occurred. At least 72 inmates escaped from one of these prisons.
Brazil has more than 600,000 inmates nationwide.
- "Wave of attacks strike policemen in Brazil" — Wikinews, May 15, 2006
- "Five beheaded during violent prison riot in Brazil" — Wikinews, June 17, 2005
- Euan McKirdy, Jay Croft, Vasco Cotovio, Marilia Brocchetto, and Sarah Faidell. "At least 56 killed in Brazil prison riot over drug turf, officials say" — , January 3, 2017
- Mauricio Savarese. "At least 56 inmates killed in prison riot in northern Brazil" — , January 2, 2017
- Alonso Soto, Pedro Fonseca, Brad Brooks, Bruno Federowski, Alan Crosby, David Gregorio, Paul Tait. "Brazil drug gangs spark prison riot, 56 dead" — , January 2, 2017
- Allen Cone. "At least 60 die in prison riot in Brazil" — , January 2, 2017
- "Brazil prison riot kills at least 56 in Amazonas state" — , January 2, 2017