Campaign offices for John McCain evacuated in Centennial, Colorado and Manchester, New Hampshire, USA
Thursday, August 21, 2008
The campaign offices for 2008 United States presidential candidate John McCain in Centennial, Colorado and Manchester, New Hampshire have been evacuated after receiving letter threats in the U.S. mail. Office staff state that the Centennial envelope contained an unknown white powder.
"We immediately notified local and federal law enforcement agencies and are looking to cooperate with them. We have put all of our offices on highest alert. They're looking for anything suspicious and all staff has been quarantined as of right now," said Jeff Sadosky, a spokesman for the McCain campaign.
There are currently no reports of injuries, but "staffs were immediately transported to a local hospital," added Sadosky. At least four people had to go through decontamination as a precaution. Authorities say that preliminary tests performed on the powder contained in the Centennial letter appears to be a protein and is not dangerous.
"We have not found anything hazardous in the initial testing, in the initial examination we did. We have no reports of anybody being sick," said Parker South Metro Fire Rescue Authority spokesman Andy Lyon who also said that authorities only found small granules of an alleged powder. The Manchester envelope was also given the all clear and no substance was found inside.
According to 9news.com, the letter in Centennial came from an unknown individual who is being held in Arapahoe County Jail. 9news.com describes the individual as a "prolific letter writer". The letter in Manchester contained a return address for Denver, but authorities say that the two incidents are not related.
- "Powder in letter to McCain not dangerous, police say" — , August 21, 2008
- "Source: Letter sent to McCain office came from Arapahoe County Jail" — , August 21, 2008
- "Second McCain office evacuated after letter threat: spokesman" — , August 21, 2008
- "McCain staff in white powder threat" — , August 21, 2008
- "Officials: Threats sent to McCain offices" — , August 21, 2008
- "McCain Colo. office evacuated after letter threat" — , August 21, 2008
- "Officials: Threat, powder sent to McCain office" — , August 21, 2008
- Scott Conroy. "McCain Office Is Sent White Powder, Threat" — , August 21, 2008