Dozens dead in Connecticut school shooting
Friday, December 14, 2012
Before turning the gun on himself, a 20-year-old male opened fire at Sandy Hook Elementary School in, , killing 28 people, 20 of them children ranging from five to ten years old. Approximately 600 students were inside the school.
Theidentifies the shooter as 20-year-old Adam Lanza. He was reported to be in possession of a .223-caliber assault rifle and two hand guns when he opened fire inside the school. His motives are not yet clear, but reports say his mother Nancy, who was also killed, may have been the target. She was a teacher of a kindergarten class at the school. Adam's brother Ryan, who was initially reported to be the shooter, is also in police custody.
president spoke in a televised address saying, "The majority of those who died today were children — beautiful little kids between the ages of 5 and 10 years old. They had their entire lives ahead of them — birthdays, graduations, weddings, kids of their own. Among the fallen were also teachers — men and women who devoted their lives to helping our children fulfill their dreams.
"So our hearts are broken today — for the parents and grandparents, sisters and brothers of these little children, and for the families of the adults who were lost. Our hearts are broken for the parents of the survivors as well, for as blessed as they are to have their children home tonight, they know that their children’s innocence has been torn away from them too early, and there are no words that will ease their pain."
A hospital near the school, in, Connecticut, is currently on lock down. According to and 's page, the hospital is treating three of the shooting victims.
- Matt Quillen. "20 children, suspect's mother dead in CT elementary school shooting" — , December 14, 2012
- "President Obama Speaks on the Shooting in Connecticut" — , December 14, 2012
- John Christoffersen and Pete Yost (Associated Press). "Shooting suspect is 20-year-old, son of teacher at school; older brother questioned" — , December 14, 2012
- Larry Celona, Josh Margolin, Dana Sauchelli, Natalie O'Neill & Dan MacLeod. "MASSACRE: Up to 27 people, including 20 children, shot dead at elementary school in Connecticut" — , December 14, 2012
- Rachel Clark. "Children and adults gunned down in Connecticut school massacre" — , December 14, 2012
- Joseph Goldstein and William K. Bashbaum. "18 Children Killed in Grade School Shooting in Connecticut" — , December 14, 2012