Egypt's Shura Council parliament building on fire
Tuesday, August 19, 2008
Fire broke out today at Egypt's Shura Council, the upper house of the Parliament of Egypt at around 16:00 local time. The number of casualties had reached 13 by 22:30. Officials said that most of the casualties were a result of smoke inhalation and minor burns.
"The fire is currently limited to the Shura Council's second floor. We are still trying to determine the exact cause of the fire," the official said. "Parliament is currently on summer recess and very few people would have been in the building."
As of this article's publication, thick black clouds of smoke could still be seen billowing from the three-story building in downtown Cairo. A statement had been broadcast over a local TV network indicating that the evacuated employees said authorities told them they had ruled out terrorism and that the fire has been a result of a short circuit.
Fire engines and military helicopters reached the fire location and began trying to extinguish the flames. Ambulances were also seen in the area.
Parts of the ceiling on the top floor collapsed due to the fire.
The Egyptian Taxation building had also caught on fire.
- "Fire breaks out in Egypt's parliament" — , August 19,2008
- Jonathan Wright and Mohamed Abdellah; writing by Alaa Shahine. "Fire breaks out at Egypt's parliament" — , August 19, 2008
- "Blaze engulfs Egyptian parliament" — , August 19, 2008
- "Five hurt in Egypt parliament building fire" — , August 19, 2008
- Wael Abbas. "My comment on Shura Council fire for Aljazeera" — , August 19, 2008
- "A massive fire in Shura Council" — , August 19, 2008