Football: Liverpool reaches agreement with Southampton FC to sign van Dijk
Saturday, December 30, 2017
On Wednesday, English football club Liverpool FC announced reaching an agreement with to sign Dutch centre-back . According to the reports, the Dutchman would cost Liverpool 75 million making him the most expensive defender of all time as well as the most expensive player in Liverpool's history.
In anpost, van Dijk wrote, "Delighted and honoured to have agreed to become a Liverpool FC player!" The defender is to join Liverpool on January 1, when the transfer window opens. He is to wear number 4 jersey, the club announced on their website. The Reds tried to sign the Dutchman in summer after he formally requested a transfer.
van Dijk joined The Saints in 2015 for a fee of £13 million fromand he penned a six-year contract with the club last year. Since 2014, Liverpool has signed five players from Southampton for about £171.5 million.
Liverpool is currently fourth in thetable with 41 points in 21 games. They have conceded 24 goals in the league this season. Seventeen points behind league leaders , Liverpool is scheduled to play in an away game on January 1, but would not be able to field van Dijk.
- "Live Scores - Barclays Premiership: Liverpool - Leicester City" — , December 30, 2017
- "Live Scores - Barclays Premiership: Burnley - Liverpool" — , December 28, 2017 (date of access)
- Glenn Price. "Liverpool announce deal to sign Virgil van Dijk from Southampton" — , December 28, 2017
- "Virgil van Dijk: Liverpool to sign Southampton defender for world record £75m" — , December 27, 2017
- "Liverpool agree deal to sign Virgil van Dijk" — , December 28, 2017 (date of access)