Football: Manchester City beats Chelsea 2-0 to win English Community Shield
Wednesday, August 8, 2018
On Sunday, defending English winners Manchester City defeated London-based football club Chelsea FC 2–0 at the to win the 2018 . Sergio Agüero scored one goal in each half as Manchester City added another trophy to their collection.
Manchester City had greater ball possession in the match. In the first ten minutes of the first half, Agüero, Spanish compatriot attempted a through ball. In the 13th minute, Agüero scored the opener from 's assist, giving Manchester City an early lead. It was Agüero's 200th goal for Man City, making him the first player in the club's history to score 200 goals. He tried to double the lead in the 18th minute, but his shot was saved by Chelsea's goalkeeper . missed a chance in the 25th minute to equalise. After the half-hour mark, tried to level up for Chelsea but was saved by Man City's shot-stopper . The first half ended with Man City leading 1–0.and , who was playing his first match for Manchester City, attempted to open the scoring. In the 11th minute, Chelsea's forward was caught offside as his
At the beginning of the second half, Leroy Sané was substituted off and he was replaced by his national teammate Brazilian forward , who recently added a two-year term to his contract, came on for Mahrez. Agüero was replaced with defender in the 80th minute. The task was done, for Chelsea could not get the ball in Man City's net as the Premier League winners won the match 2–0.. Agüero, in the 50th minute, dribbled past Caballero but his shot missed the target and hit the side netting. A couple of minutes later, Foden's shot was saved by Caballero. In the 58th minute, Agüero scored the second goal of the match, from 's assist. Chelsea made a double substitution after the second goal as Willian and came on for Hudson-Odoi and Fàbregas. In the 68th minute,
After the match, Chelsea's managersaid, "The performance was not bad in the first half but in the second half there was a big difference from a physical point of view, so we have to work [...] I am worried about the defensive phase — not the defenders. We have to improve, especially on the other half."
|August 5, 2018|
|Chelsea FC||0–2||Manchester City||London, England, |
Referee: ( )
|0–1 (HT)||Sergio Agüero 13'|
Sergio Agüero 58'
Sergio Agüero 80'
- "Brazilian footballer Gabriel Jesus signs contract extension with Manchester City" — Wikinews, August 6, 3018
- "Football: Manchester City signs Riyad Mahrez from Leicester" — Wikinews, July 12, 2018
- The Emirates FA Cup. "Man City 2-0 Chelsea | Aguero Hits Brilliant Brace | FA Community Shield Highlights" — , August 6, 2018
- "Chelsea vs City: Brief Highlights" — , August 6, 2018
- "Chelsea 0-2 Manchester City: Talking points from the Community Shield" — , August 6, 2018
- Rob Harris. "Community Shield: Man City show of strength, beating Chelsea" — , August 6, 2018
- Chris Bevan. "Community Shield: Chelsea 0-2 Manchester City - Sergio Aguero scores twice" — , August 5, 2018