Four Royal Canadian Mounted Police officers killed in raid
Sunday, March 6, 2005
Four Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) officers were shot and killed while raiding a house in the rural town of . The suspected shooter, James Rosko, 46, also died in the raid. The RCMP reported that he committed suicide after killing the four officers with his own rifle.
The officers were carrying out a court-ordered property seizure. They discovered stolen property and a marijuana growing operation.
The following officers were killed in action:
- Const. Peter Schiemann, 25
- Const. Anthony Gordon, 28
- Const. Lionide Johnston, 34
- Const. Brock Myrol, 29
The shooting has shocked the peaceful region and the country of Canada. The Liberal Party of Canada has responded by agreeing to recommend tougher laws for grow-ops. Local citizens are reacting to the losses with memorials and condolences.
The rural town of Mayerthorpe, with a population of about 1,600, is located about 130km northwest of.
- RCMP Media Relations. "Shooting leaves four RCMP Officers dead" — , March 4, 2005
- CBC Media Relations. "Roszko killed officers, then himself" — , March 4, 2005