Cyclone Ophelia batters Spain, Portugal, Ireland, the UK, and Norway
This article has been assessed not ready for publication.
|This article has been assessed not ready for publication.
Please see the review comments on the collaboration page.
Monday, October 16, 2017
Storm Ophelia is currently affecting the Ireland. The storm christened had battered as a before striking Ireland on Monday morning. Although various weather agencies have downgraded Ophelia to a post-tropical cyclone or windstorm, it has already whipped the island with 109 mile per hour winds (176 km/h), leaving roughly 100,000 households without electricity. The government of the Republic of Ireland has issued a red wind warning, and has asked residents to remain indoors for the duration. Both the Republic and United Kingdom have ordered military forces ready to respond to emergencies. The United States predicted the storm will cross Ireland and make landfall on Scotland Monday evening, which it did, with winds of up to 55 kilometers per hour.municipality in Norway, with winds of up to 45 kilometers per hour after beating a path through
"Public safety is our key concern today. Advice is to stay at home, no unnecessary travel or other outdoor activities. Further updates later", Varadkar said via Twitter.
"A number of [tropical storms] reach Europe, but usually they are weak systems," Reindert Haarsma of thetold Newsweek. "That they reach Europe with this strength, near hurricane force, is quite unusual."
A hurricane is defined by a central column of warm, water-laden air, which a course over the northern Atlantic Ocean often melts. If this had happened to Ophelia, it would have been classified as an extratropical cyclone upon reaching Ireland, but it was still expected to have hurricane force winds.
According to Haarsma, northern countries may suffer even more damage because the people and infrastructure are not set up for storms of this kind. This early in, the trees have not shed their leaves, and the types of that grow in this area do not tend to bend in strong winds.
The island of Ireland is home to two political entities, the Republic of Ireland, which is independent, covers most of the island, and Northern Ireland, which is part of the United Kingdom, covers six Ulster counties in the north. The head of state of the Republic of Ireland is called a Taoiseach.
- "As shipping exemption expires, hurricane-torn Puerto Rico may face changes in relief from mainland United States" — Wikinews, October 12, 2017
- "Hurricane Nate weakens as it reaches United States" — Wikinews, October 9, 2017
- "Windy: Wind map & weather forecast (also known as Windyty)" — , October 17, 2017
- Holly Ellyat. "Hurricane Ophelia: Thousands lose power as storm hits Ireland" — , October 16, 2017
- "Storm Ophelia: Latest Path and Forecast as Ex-Hurricane Slams Into Ireland and Threatens U.K." — , October 16, 2017
- "Ireland lashed by hurricane-force winds in 'worst weather event in 50 years'" — , October 16, 2017
- Meghan Bartels. "Hurricane Ophelia: What a Tropical Storm is Doing in Europe" — , October 13, 2017
- "Hurricane Ophelia" — , October 12, 2017
- Carlie Kollath Wells. "Hurricane Ophelia slowly heads toward Ireland, Azores" — , October 12, 2017