Italian footballer Andrea Pirlo announces retirement
Thursday, November 9, 2017
On Monday, Italian midfielder formally announced his retirement from football. A 2006 winner with Italy, Pirlo had announced his intentions to end the 22-year-career last month, and his final professional game ended in a 2–0 win for (NYCFC) against in play-offs at .
"As my time in NYC FC comes to an end, I want to thank everybody for the kindness and support they have shown me in this incredible city", 38-year-old Pirlo wrote on Twitter. Last month, the Italian told "You realise yourself that the time has come. Each day, you have physical problems and you can’t train as you would like to. At my age, it’s fine to say enough is enough." ((it)) Italian language: Ti rendi conto da solo che è arrivato il momento. Ogni giorno hai problemi fisici, non riesci più ad allenarti come vorresti perché hai sempre qualche acciacco. Alla mia età ci sta di dire basta.
Pirlo spent 20 years playing in Italy, making his professional debut for Internazionale in 1998. Three years later, in 2001, he made a switch to Inter's local rivals, . Pirlo spent a decade with , and won two titles, and two titles — in 2003 and in 2007, just a year after Pirlo won the World Cup in with Azzurri defeatingbefore moving to
His contract with Milan expired in 2011, and then 32-year-old Pirlo moved to FC Barcelona in the final.and joined . He won four consecutive Serie A titles with the Old Lady. He was close to winning a third UEFA Champions League gold medal in 2015, but Juventus lost 3–1 against
Having won six Italian league titles, two Champions League and
- "F.C. Barcelona wins UEFA Champions League 2014/15" — Wikinews, June 8, 2015
- "Italy and France draw 1-1; Italy wins FIFA World Cup on penalties" — Wikinews, July 9, 2006
- Niall McVeigh. "Andrea Pirlo retires from football after leaving New York City FC" — , November 6, 2017
- "Andrea Pirlo: Former Italy international announces retirement" — , November 6, 2017
- Nycfc. "NYCFC on Twitter" — , November 6, 2017
- Massimo Lopes Pegna. "Pirlo: "Ciao calcio, sono vecchio. Ma non è scattata la scintilla per la panchina"" — , October 7, 2017 ()