Philippine Armed Forces chief tests positive for COVID-19 in antigen test
Thursday, August 26, 2021
Lieutenant General Jose Faustino Jr., Chief of Staff of the COVID-19 in an , according to a press conference held by AFP spokesperson Colonel Ramon Zagala on Monday. The colonel said they were waiting for the result from the , which was expected to be announced later the same day.(AFP), tested positive for
Zagala said the AFP chief "is okay" and was isolated in his quarters at, for safety reasons. The chief's close contacts were notified about lieutenant general's results and isolated themselves. The AFP chief was expected to meet the press around 9 AM (PHT) on Monday, the and reported, but cancelled it after he was made known of his antigen test results.
Faustino became the chief of staff of AFP on July 31, succeeding then-General, who retired in the same day he was replaced. Faustino was the commander of AFP Joint Task Force Mindanao before he assumed the post.
The lieutenant general is not the first AFP chief of staff to test positive for COVID-19. In March 2020, then-Generalalso contracted the virus while he was still AFP chief. Faustino was also vaccinated with 's in the same month.
- Joviland Rita. "AFP chief Faustino positive for COVID-19 in antigen test —spokesperson" — , August 23, 2021
- Frances Mangosing. "AFP chief tests positive in antigen test" — , August 23, 2021
- Martin Sadongdong. "BREAKING: AFP Chief infected with COVID-19" — , August 23, 2021
- Frances Mangosing. "In confidence-building bid, Army chief first to get CoronaVac injection" — , March 2, 2021
- Anna Felicia Bajo. "AFP chief Santos tested positive for COVID-19 - Lorenzana" — , March 27, 2020