Plane crashes into office block in Austin, Texas
Thursday, February 18, 2010
Federal officials say the plane owner was Joseph Andrew Stack III; presumed to be the pilot who set his house on fire on the 1800 block of Dapplegrey Lane in north Austin an hour earlier. He then drove to, approximately 20 miles away, took off and then crashed his private plane into the Echelon complex.
Mr. Stack committed suicide, and a suicide note has been located. Mr. Stack's suicide note mentions anti-government and anti-corporate ideals, as well as problems with the Internal Revenue Service and that he lost money in the Enron scandal. Although the incident was intentional, a Department of Homeland Security official said that terrorism is not suspected. The online host of the note, T35 Hosting, later removed it in its entirety after the FBI requested its censorship. However, Wikinews has preserved the full text of the letter.
burns on 25% of his back and has been transported by helicopter to in and is said to be in stable condition.reported around 1100 local time (1600 UTC) that two people were transported to local hospitals and one was unaccounted for. One man was admitted at a local hospital under serious condition for smoke inhalation. The other man suffered from second-degree
The seven-story Echelon Building One is located on 9430 Research Boulevard and contains Central Intelligence Agency and Federal Bureau of Investigation. Research Boulevard is the service road of . The incident has caused severe backups on both Research Boulevard and Route 183.offices. The Echelon building complex houses a number of federal offices, including
A witness toldthat he saw the plane flying lower than usual, then it made a sharp turn and hit the building.
An Austin County EMS official, James Shamard, said that smoke is visible from at least a mile from the crash site. Another official for the Austin Fire Department said that two persons who were working in the building are still unaccounted for.
MSNBC reports that there was some form of domestic dispute between Mr. Stack and his wife before the incident. He then reportedly used gasoline to light his house on fire. When the fire department arrived, they rescued his wife and teenage daughter.
According to Jerry Cullen, a pilot and former flight instructor who witnessed the crash, the plane was traveling at high speed at time of impact.
- "Plane crashes into building in Austin, Texas" — , February 18, 2010
- "Small plane crashes into Texas office building" — , February 18, 2010
- "Plane Crashes Into Building In Austin, Texas" — , February 18, 2010
- "Plane crashes into Austin building" — , February 18, 2010
- "Small plane crashes into Austin office building" — , February 18, 2010
- "Texas building hit by small plane" — , February 18, 2010
- "Investigators: Pilot set fire to home before crashing into building" — , February 18, 2010
- "Officials investigating plane crash as a crime" — , February 18, 2010
- "Official: Plane crash into office building ‘a criminal act’" — , February 18, 2010
- Plane crashes into office block in Austin, Texas/Suicide note – Wikinews copy prior to blocking.
- Originally hosted at http://embeddedart.com/
- Google SketchUp model of Echelon Complex from Google 3D Warehouse