Portal talk:Culture and entertainment
I think that for this page, we should post which new movies are coming out each week. I think that's kind of like news. Repond as soon as you can.- B-101 01:47, 10 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- The problem becomes one of where? Are we posting US movies? England? Germany? Japan? Where in the States? Major releases? 2 theater releases? Lyellin 02:24, 10 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- That's a good point. I think we should do it for each different language version. So that means we should have in this version the ones that are coming out in the US.- B-101 12:13, 10 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- Well, what about Britain? Ireland? Scotland? Australia? New Zealand? Which part of hte US? I like the idea- I just see it as a rather large undertaking while we are still working on getting regular news reporting set up. Lyellin 19:18, 10 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- Let's just give this issue a bit of time. I think it's a good idea to have movie releases.- B-101 20:41, 10 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- I agree- I put it in the same line as opinion articles... a worthy thing to do, once some of the basic news stuff is ironed out. Lyellin 20:57, 10 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- There aren't so many movies being released every week such that a simple list would be tedious. Although I rarely attend the movies myself, I closely follow the movie listings each week so I can update my personal list of which movies to buy on DVD when they are later released in that format.
- I would find it rather useful to have such a listing available on Wikinews.
- Anyways, rather than simply talk about this, I will go ahead and start the listing for the United States box office. (I'll start listings for video games and DVDs next). If others want to follow my example for other countries, they are welcome to do so.
- If others have more high brow taste and wish to list theatre, symphonies, ballet, etc., they are also welcome to do so as well. — DV 00:59, 20 Dec 2004 (UTC)
I've created this for two main reasons:
- It makes the page look far more up to date.
- It alerts contributors to events they could cover. It gives them a chance to get some background information for an article and means they will be ready to post the event unfolds - i.e increased speed. We can break the news not just report it! CGorman 22:41, 19 Mar 2005 (UTC)
- I like the Upcoming Events section but is there a way to differentiate it better from the continuing Regions sections below it. Being the same background colour as it and being different colour than other Regions in left column leaves one thinking those Regions are sections for upcoming events. If you know what I'm trying to say. DoubleBlue 16:47, 28 Mar 2005 (UTC)
i belive this is all stupid
Perhaps we split religion off from the Culture/Ent section? -- user:zanimum
I prefer [[Category:Culture and entertainment]]
- This is visible in both locations. -- user:zanimum
I added the crossword because
- Most paper newspapers have a cross word in there entertainment section (I know where not a paper news paper but i personally think that its a good idea.
- Crosswords are more visible more people see it, more (cross-word eddicted) users come back to wikinews, user base grows.
Added TOC because some people don't read all the way through. I know TOC's were taken out because they're ugly. However this toc only displays 2 things, is useful (if you're here for the crossword and havn't seen the link on the main page. and it doesn't clutter the culture page up. I also think it provides some balance to the left aligned culture page.
third reason i did this is if you really hate the idea you can revert it back, no harm done. Hope I wasn't too bold in updating this all of a sudden Bawolff 04:11, 29 August 2005 (UTC)
- Bold is the best way to get things done around here! ;) No harm done at all. :) You have introduced a revolutionary new concept, and my only suggestion is a clean-up of aesthetics, which I am starting to work on right now. Great idea, and Rock On with those Bold propositions! -- NGerda 04:16, August 29, 2005 (UTC)
- Thanks Bawolff 20:01, 29 August 2005 (UTC)
- No prob. -- NGerda 20:13, August 29, 2005 (UTC)
I've been away for a long weekend - this is looking fabulous! ClareWhite 15:43, 30 August 2005 (UTC) PS I raised the question about religion being in this category before - i agree it's not completely appropriate but couldn't think of a better place. Politics and conflicts doesn't seem quite right either, not always anyway :) I think it does come under culture really. Hm.
I submitted an article under Culture and Entertainment a while ago, and the article was immediately deleted by Amgine. I am now attempting to convince Amgine that the article should be published. I would like to determine if there are any other options I might pursue to "make my case", and utilize this site, and this section, to submit and have published, information about our nonprofit work. Any help appreciated.
- Wikinews is not an advertising network. Unless your event is truly note-worthy its not going to be listed here (sorry to sound mean) Bawolff ☺☻ 23:44, 12 February 2006 (UTC)
Goodness, this portal needs major focus. The report about Faith Hill is on the front page for ages!!!! Its not news anymore! Does anyone still pay attention to this portal????? Somebody please help!! —Kathzzzz 06:09, 5 December 2006 (UTC)