Republican Congressman Ron Paul endorses Constitution Party nominee Chuck Baldwin for President of the United States
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Despite repeatedly saying that he would not endorse a particular candidate for this November's U.S. presidential election, Republican Congressman Ron Paul made a surprise statement Monday afternoon in which he announced that he was supporting Constitution Party nominee Chuck Baldwin.
This comes after Libertarian Party nominee former congressman Bob Barr's controversial last minute refusal to attend Paul's third party unity conference at the National Press Club in Washington, DC nearly two weeks ago.
Instead, Barr held a press conference of his own a few hours later at the same location. In it he announced that he did not care about third party candidates getting a large amount of votes in the election, only himself. This statement caused Barr to rapidly decrease in voter popularity over the following week. Many of his former supporters have since joined Baldwin's and Independent Ralph Nader's presidential campaigns.
HAVE YOUR SAY
Did Ron Paul make the right choice in endorsing Chuck Baldwin?
"I’ve thought about the unsolicited advice from the Libertarian Party candidate," Paul said Monday. "He has convinced me to reject my neutral stance in the November election. I’m supporting Chuck Baldwin, the Constitution Party candidate."
- "Libertarian U.S. presidential nominee Bob Barr trying to remove running mate Wayne Allyn Root, reports say" — Wikinews, September 18, 2008
- "Libertarian National Committee motion to chastise Ron Paul for not endorsing U.S. presidential nominee Bob Barr released" — Wikinews, September 17, 2008
- "Libertarian National Committee in fierce deadlock over how to address growing Bob Barr controversies" — Wikinews, September 15, 2008
- "Plans set in motion for the removal of Bob Barr as the Libertarian Party's U.S. presidential nominee" — Wikinews, September 13, 2008
- "Controversy spreads over Libertarian U.S. presidential nominee Bob Barr" — Wikinews, September 12, 2008
- "Ron Paul Endorses Chuck Baldwin" — , September 22, 2008
- "A New Alliance" — , September 22, 2008
- "Bob Barr snubs Ron Paul and other third party candidates" — , September 11, 2008